HKID Card

Closed Thread

Smile HKID Card

I have been working for a foreign company in Dongguan for 2 years. The company has no office in Hong Kong. I will be here for the forseeable future. I rent a flat in HK and am here 3 days a week. Does anyone know if there is a way for me to get a HKID card under these circumstances? It is so diffcult to do anything here without one. I am considering buying a car, and getting a driver's license without an ID seems next to impossible. Even things like getting a credit card, standing in the painfully long visitors lines at immigration every week, etc.
    Thanks,
    Nick

Nick - ID cards are available to HK Residents. You need to be on a long term visa (employment / student / dependant / investment) to be considered a Hong Kong resident.

Smart HKID

My husband was born in Hong Kong. He left Hong Kong to Canada when he was 13 years old. He would like to apply for the Smart HKID when we go back to Hong Kong next month. He never applied for any HKID before; all he has is the Hong Kong Birth Certificate.

Can he still apply for the Smart HKID? If yes, what kind of documents he has to bring with him?

Read the info here: http://www.geoexpat.com/forum/thread35101.html. Figure out which category he is in and contact the immigration department.