Like Tree1Likes

Hiring a new helper who did not complete previous contract - anyone with experience?

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Question Hiring a new helper who did not complete previous contract - anyone with experience?

Hi all,

Our family is about to sign a contract with a new helper who did not complete her previous work contract. We have heard that they need to leave HK and then remain overseas while applying for the new contract. Other people say that they can just live to a near by country (say Macau) and come back immediately to apply while staying in HK on a tourist VISA.

Has anyone had experience with this? We are doing it ourselves and not through an agency.

Many thanks in advance.

Cheers.

They only get 14 days on a tourist visa and they cannot work while on that visa. Processing of the new visa is supposed to take 4-6 weeks.
    Check the Geobaby forum as there is a section dedicated to Helper questions and people there are very helpful

Last edited by Satay Sue; 21-09-2011 at 09:59 AM.

I have heard helpers are going to Macau and waiting it out there instead of going home. However, the paperwork can take 4-6 weeks to process and will she stay in Macau that long? Am not sure if they only get 14 days in Macau as well, so they'll have to exit a couple of times and re-enter? Will you be paying for her room/board in Macau?

I'd pay for a portion of her flight home if she's from the Phils. Flights there are pretty cheap. Indo flights can be a lot more expensive. Start the contract on a good note. Nothing for someone to do in macau for 4-6wks, and where would she live?

I'm in the same situation - my helper reckons she can voluntarily defer her home leave for up to a year, I have seen it on the application form also. I am going to immigration on Friday to find out for sure and will update you. Bottom line is I need her now, six weeks will mean I choose someone else and I really don't want that..

She can defer her home leave if she's finished her contract. Not if she's been terminated

Quote Originally Posted by bryant.english:
    I'm in the same situation - my helper reckons she can voluntarily defer her home leave for up to a year, I have seen it on the application form also. I am going to immigration on Friday to find out for sure and will update you. Bottom line is I need her now, six weeks will mean I choose someone else and I really don't want that..
    But if you choose someone else (as in another FDH) won't the same rules apply? I don't know the answer I'm really asking the question.

Thanks all for sharing. Really appreciate it.

We acknowledge that they are not allowed to work during the application process but were thinking whether they can go to Macau and come back to HK on a 14d VISA. Then apply for the new contract with us which will take 4-6wks. After 14ds in HK, they can go to Macau and come back in again. Do this a few times until the application is processed. Of course while in HK during this period the helper will need to find somewhere to stay.

The strange thing we noted was that they need to show their Passport when applying for a new employer (for termination). However if they are out of the country how can they submit their application via post and show the Passport at the same time?

No they can't make multiple trips I'm and out.

three_c likes this.

Sorry mobile phone - IN and out. My helper tried once and was interrogated for ages on first return attempt

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast