Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By jimbo

Chimes?

Chimes?

We're in Mid-levels. Today we had chimes broadcast through some PA system at 5pm and 5.30pm. I'm sure we haven't heard them before. Some kind of curfew? (there was a kind of system in place in Japan for schoolkids but it was throughout the year, this is new to us here we think!)

Sarcasm - because beating the crap out of people is illegal

Are you near a school?

Yes we are near a couple

That's the chimes for the schoolkids to start getting ready for Wanchai Schoolkid night

bookblogger likes this.

...at Trafalgar

Public announcements Sai Ying Pun?

I have recently arrived in HK - Park Road/Bonham Road and have been hearing long drawn out public announcements in the afternoon/ early evening. It sounds rather like the public propoganda that you used to get in China but since I can't understand the Cantonese it could also be an annoucment for Pizza Hut? Any ideas anyone?
    By the way, the sound is so muffled I doubt that locals could hear it clearly either, but that might be my location.

Quote Originally Posted by SuelinB:
    I have recently arrived in HK - Park Road/Bonham Road and have been hearing long drawn out public announcements in the afternoon/ early evening. It sounds rather like the public propoganda that you used to get in China but since I can't understand the Cantonese it could also be an annoucment for Pizza Hut? Any ideas anyone?
    By the way, the sound is so muffled I doubt that locals could hear it clearly either, but that might be my location.

You still get the propaganda announcements in China. People are more open in ignoring them though - or trying to muffle the speakers on hard sleeper trains.

In Hong Kong, you might have been hearing electioneering for the District Council elections in early November. I know they have started leafleting near me. They often target office workers as they finish work and head home.

But noone knows what the chimes are for? I know the evenings are slowly getting darker...We got them in Tokyo around sunset for the kids to either be at home, or have a valid reason for being out, or with an adult. Or so we were told!

prolly the guy advertising his knife sharpening service or it's because of the upcoming district elections in November and candidates are campaigning