Need help with TEFL Stuff

Closed Thread

Need help with TEFL Stuff

I am a caucasian moving from the US to HK in late September. I just graduated from uni with an IS degree and am looking for a job. I realize that finding a business job may be difficult and may take a while, so I need an income in the mean time. I intend to teach English in the interim. I have a limited amount of teaching experience, but am thinking of getting a TEFL certificate of some kind. My question is now... what kind of certificate should I go for? I would rather do an online course because they are cheaper and faster, but I am not sure if it will be taken seriously or not. Could someone tell me if an HK employer will care if I have a Cambridge TEFL cert vs. a cheapo online one?

Last edited by sfdude; 05-09-2004 at 02:07 PM.

Exclamation TEFL advice

1. Get your TEFL degree there
    It's damn expensive to do it here

2. Get it from somewhere reputable
    Doing it online gets you a crap TEFL degree. The schools, the good ones at least, will check what kind of school you got it from. In-class training makes your degree worth it.

3. Stay Caucasian
    The HK ppl want to see Caucasian for the big bucks they are paying for learning English

4. Where to teach
    I know a place that pays very well, and will hire you on the spot (probationary) if you fill their credentials. You do the hours they request until you quit or they fire you. Contact me by e-mail for the contact info.

Since teaching English is not a permanent thing for me, I'm not sure if I am willing to invest the time/money necessary for a Cambridge TEFL certificate. What I am wondering now is whether or not an online certification would be useful or not. I have some experience teaching, will that help override the need for a TEFL cert?

PS- Doogle, you asked me to e-mail you, but did not leave your address, would you like me to PM you instead?

Quote Originally Posted by sfdude:
    Since teaching English is not a permanent thing for me, I'm not sure if I am willing to invest the time/money necessary for a Cambridge TEFL certificate. What I am wondering now is whether or not an online certification would be useful or not. I have some experience teaching, will that help override the need for a TEFL cert?

Buddy, that's why English teachers are paid the big bucks, and are a good bet for working in HK; because people have invested the time/money necessary for the TEFL certificate. You're taking a chance with your online certification. Play the odds if you want buddy, I've said my piece, but you're competing with people who have taken at least 60-hour courses like I. And those courses likely include teaching experience. Maybe you'll get lucky, maybe you won't. Good luck.

If you want extra "income in the mean time" the quick and easy way just buy a palette of "Hello Kitty" dolls and set-up shop on a street corner.

PS- Doogle, you asked me to e-mail you, but did not leave your address, would you like me to PM you instead?
    Check my profile please.

Tefl

I take your point about the longer vs shorter course, but wonder if anyone has any knowledge about my situation: I am an experienced high school teacher, but not in English. I don't think I would have any trouble teaching English (having a strong background in literacy), but for my own sake, I would like to do a brief course that points out some resources, passes on some experiences etc. I do not want to spend my time learning how to teach per se, since I already know that. Is there anyone else out there in a similar situation? Will my M.Ed. see me through without needing a TEFL cert.?

Yo,
    can you mention what you taught (if it wasn't English)?
    Where did you get your M.Ed degree?
    Do you have an accent with English?
    How long did you teach?

I don't know what kind of answers you were expecting without providing this data.

I would suggest instead of taking a course, that you teach at a discount language center and/or do private tutoring.

Get whatever degree somewhere else. It's almost probitively expensive to do so in HK.

That will sweeten your candidacy when you apply.

I don't think anyone here can give you a precise picture of your candidacy. Best thing is to go out and try. Remember, whatever the employment rate is out there, it only takes one school to employ you. And if you're just good enough, you're in. Everyone has a unique background and skills to offer, so there's no magic answer, at least from me. But we can give guidance and an idea of what to expect.

Gain the experience, sweeten your offers, and keep applying.

Hi SFdude,

I'd really advise that you look at taking a CELTA (Certificate (in) English Language Teacing (to) Adults). Its certainly one of the more expensive ones (about $2000 USD) but it is one of the most respected qualifications out there, it will be a 30/40 day course of about 10 hours per day. You can also 'upgrade' later to a DELTA (Diploma instead of certificate) which wiould make it much easier to achieve 'Foreign expert' status on Mainland China.

I'd also make sure that you have a good understanding of grammer, phonics, lesson/course planning and you are able to understand and teach the differences between British English and American English.