Blackberry SIM

Closed Thread

Blackberry SIM

I managed to lose my newest Blackberry which was abt 6 mos old and am now using an old clunker.....

Question - I need to have one that I can use with a US and a HK SIM card. I'm not getting a straight answer from CSL1010.

Anyone know the answer?

Sorry, I missed the question there. The problem with the US-local SIM card is usually the US card. Need to make sure the device is unlocked so you can switch them in and out. But it is possible as one of my co-workers does it. However, he loses data transmission when the US card is out.

So let's say I buy another new Blackberry here in HK as I still have another 8 mos on my plan..........I then go to the states for several weeks and want to use a US sim card then come back to HK and use my HK sim card.

Can it be done without being charged roaming or losing data?

I think your biggest issues will be:
    (1) getting a US sim card; most (all?) US phones can only be used with the original sim card so I don't know if you wil find someone selling just the sim card.
    (2) if your plan is a HK plan and you switch in a US sim card, you won't get any data transmissions; you won't lose them, they will just be on the HK sim card.
    I should point out that my answers are based on issues we have had here wth the blackberry and I am not a blackberry tech gur/wiz-kid.

Last edited by Sleuth; 20-07-2007 at 01:20 PM.

I'm just going to contact a company in the US it's hopeless getting a straight answer in HK from CSL.

Same conclusion we reached when researching switching from US-based to HK-based.