• 1 Post By BaconBreadBaker
  • 1 Post By methosb
  • 1 Post By justjoe86
  • 1 Post By threelittlepigs
  • 1 Post By dtb

ATM not asking for PIN.

Closed Thread

ATM not asking for PIN.

It has happened a number of times now, at the same machine though.

Near Fortress Hill HSBC branch, there are three machines. However, in one of them (multi purpose machine) when I put my card in, it doesnt ask for PIN. It straight away goes to options. Now thats pretty weird, and I dont think any normal. When it happened first time I thought some issue with the machine, and that was months back, again a few times and last night again it happened.
    It happens only with one machine, the other two are perfectly fine and ask for PIN.
    This is a risky thing. If pickpocket gets hold of someone card, he can easily withdraw money without any hassles. certainly not safe.

Anyone experiences this before, or is there anything with multi purpose machines I am not aware of?

But did you actually removed money from that ATM? I remember some multipurpose ATMs ask for your pin not in the beginning but after you've entered the amount you want...

mercury_element likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by gunsnroses:
    But did you actually removed money from that ATM? I remember some multipurpose ATMs ask for your pin not in the beginning but after you've entered the amount you want...
    Ah, dint know that actually. thanks.

No, I dint...i just moved to other machine, was not sure if its ok to withdraw.

I use citibank and it ask for pin to begin and again when I want cash.

Some ATMs won't ask pin when doing balance or deposit. Only when cash withdrawal.

Some machines also do not ask for the pin until after you have made all your choices and are ready to process the transaction.

Quote Originally Posted by BaconBreadBaker:
    Some ATMs won't ask pin when doing balance or deposit. Only when cash withdrawal.
    Seems a bit weird to show someone's balance without a pin. Surely that's personal info. Deposit I can understand. I have no problem with someone putting money in my account!

waah! I was really not aware of that. Always thought once we insert the card in slot, first thing we need to do is enter pin.
    Thanks

If you're looking for a balance, they will ask for a pin. In some of the multipurpose machines, they allow you to deposit cheques, and for this no PIN is needed. So it depends what you are using the machine for.

This is pretty normal, ME, it will ask for your pin right after you chose your option. I think it is done purposely for fraud prevention.