Like Tree24Likes

Landlord Problem: Dishonest Disclosure on Rental Flat. Please help!!

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Wow! I feel so blessed that you guys have sympathy for me. I have a 2-year contract where both parties cannot quit in the first year but 1-mth notice(both parties) to quit in the 2nd year.
    I did ask about the exterior wall repair issues to the agent in front of the landlord when I sign the contract. The agent said it would not be the case but the landlord didn't say anything. Actually, the landlord never answered questions and the agent did all the talking.
    I also plan to live 2 mths and find a new flat. But, I worry that the landlord would chase me for the rest of the first yr's rent.
    The landlord was very mean when I talked to her. She's a "counting every penny" person. I'm skeptical about the rent reduction option. Will try.
    Thank you so much!!

If it was me

Forfeit my deposit and come to an agreement with the landlord.

Move and find a new place. Move on.

gator407 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by audiot:
    ask for a reduction in rent for this amoun for the period affected..

of course this isnt a legal solution - but could br worth a try - for both sides to see reason?
    I like your solution. I feel sorry for the OP but frankly, these works need to be done and if they're being done during the day, tough! The noise would be as bad if it was the building next door and it's not down to your landlord to diclose the building works..

I hope it works out for you but I suspect you're going to have to suck it up, 8-10 months goes by pretty quickly in Hong Kong!!

Quote Originally Posted by dumbdonkey:
    If it was me

Forfeit my deposit and come to an agreement with the landlord.

Move and find a new place. Move on.
    I think I'm in the "don't pay rent for two months, find a new place, forfeit deposit and move on". Possibly work somewhere outside the flat for those two months (I have serviced offices to rent if you need something short term and not expensive!). If the agent actually said "no renovations" in answer to a question, IN FRONT of the landlord and they did nothing to correct it - geez - that's deceptive in my view. Unfortunately I have no idea whether deceptive conduct is even illegal in HK - given all those deceptive photos of places that are on estate agents websites which appear perfectly fine and nobody complaining.

that would be quite hard to prove that it was ever said and if it was the agent who answered the question - maybe the landlord doesnt speak english so well - didnt understand or hear..

Altho in my mind the agent was deceptive - not sure of the legal implications

I have very little sympathy for property agents...

I also want to move on. It's just the landlord is very mean in coming into agreement.
    HK is completely different from the states. The agents are licensed but with no professionalism.

Quote Originally Posted by gator407:
    The landlord was very mean when I talked to her. She's a "counting every penny" person.
    Most of them are!
    dear giant likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by bookblogger:
    Most of them are!
    Probably how she came to be in a position to be a landlord

Yes, exactly.

Actually I shouldn't tar all with the same brush... half of my landlords have been OK, but the other half were sad money-grubbers with little else in their lives except collecting rent and counting it.

dear giant likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by MovingIn07:
    I think I'm in the "don't pay rent for two months, find a new place, forfeit deposit and move on". Possibly work somewhere outside the flat for those two months (I have serviced offices to rent if you need something short term and not expensive!). If the agent actually said "no renovations" in answer to a question, IN FRONT of the landlord and they did nothing to correct it - geez - that's deceptive in my view. Unfortunately I have no idea whether deceptive conduct is even illegal in HK - given all those deceptive photos of places that are on estate agents websites which appear perfectly fine and nobody complaining.
    Can I assume your rent is at least $20k / month and you still have around 8 months to go. That's $160k. Any experienced landlord will spend 6k to 10k to claim their money back.

You did enter a contract.