Like Tree24Likes

Landlord Problem: Dishonest Disclosure on Rental Flat. Please help!!

Closed Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Quote Originally Posted by Boris:
    "quiet enjoyment". Its not a noise specific thing, it just means no unreasonable hassles.
    yeah a bit of bluster might work - just keep flapping the paper in their face and rearranging your glasses :P

really I wonder cos they can pile drive all day legally and there's not really much you can do.

isnt it like some kind of expected norm for hong kong?

constant renovation and dripping air con?

so maybe you better move out to the country?
    Last edited by audiot; 04-10-2011 at 12:58 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by audiot:
    really I wonder cos they can pile drive all day legally and there's not really much you can do.
    Take some time to look up the legal meaning of "quiet enjoyment". Also how tenancy contracts and deeds relate to public works, maintenance works and works for services. Then you might understand why EVERYWHERE it's the same.

The responsibility is with the landlord to inform. Rental contracts do not exist under buyer beware; only buyer be ready to understand what is included or not. Quiet enjoyment is a right, not an option. You need to understand it's meaning and who is responsible for it in regard of works: Public or otherwise.
    dear giant and Dreadnought like this.

Quote Originally Posted by er2:
    Based on what assumption do you believe that spending 6k-10k is enough to retrieve (not only claim) the outstanding rent? From what I've heard, collecting payments - especially rent - is a nightmare in HK.

Now, if life was just always that easy.....
    You give me a $160k and then try to claim it back from me.
    jimbo likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Boris:
    Take some time to look up the legal meaning of "quiet enjoyment". Also how tenancy contracts and deeds relate to public works, maintenance works and works for services. Then you might understand why EVERYWHERE it's the same.

The responsibility is with the landlord to inform. Rental contracts do not exist under buyer beware; only buyer be ready to understand what is included or not. Quiet enjoyment is a right, not an option. You need to understand it's meaning and who is responsible for it in regard of works: Public or otherwise.
    I guess we need a lawyer to chime in with case results and precedents - your point above rests on whether the noise is coming from the building rented or the one next door or the flat above.

In HK there is always building going on - so quiet enjoyment is going to be fragile?

Closed Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4