Free Education Ordinance - Help needed

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Free Education Ordinance - Help needed

I've been trying to dig up the exact wording of the ordinance / law which states that children of residents in Hong Kong are entitled to 9 years free education.

Could someone help me and point me to the text? I've spent the last hour on google and on bliss and cannot seem to find this ordinance.

I'm curious to see how they've worded the exclusions for international schools in HK.

what exactly are you trying to find out.... the gov't does provide 9 years of free ed. they do not include private education in that... only local gov't schools would provide this. so, if you want it, you need to have your child go to a local gov't school.

will try to find the wording.

this is not from the ordinance, but from their over-view of services:

Overview

The Government's policy objectives are to:

provide nine years' free and universal primary and junior secondary education to all children attending public sector schools. Starting from the 2008/09 school year, senior secondary education is provided free through public sector schools. In addition, with effect from the 2008/09 school year, the Government provides full subvention for full-time courses run by the Vocational Training Council for Secondary 3 leavers to offer an alternative free avenue for senior secondary students outside mainstream education;

Yeah, I want to see the verbiage used to build their exclusion list.

I've seen that, but that is a policy document, not the legal framework.

pdlm is usually really good at finding that kind of stuff... sorry.

Sarcasm - because beating the crap out of people is illegal

Nine years' "free and compulsory" education isn't written into law. Attendance (i.e. compulsory part) is enforced through Ordinance (Cap 279, Sec 74(1)).

You can check "School Education in Hong Kong: A Statement of Aims" (1993) at the library.

Claire : I can swear I had seen the bill or some legal document that laid out the framework for free and compulsory education. Wish I'd bookmarked it.

In the White Paper "The Development of Senior Secondary and Tertiary Education" (1978) it refers to "in the public sector".

Shri, do you have a year for the document?

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast