Like Tree19Likes

And I thought HSBC could not get any harder to use....

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

In Japan we banked with Sakura Bank which became SMBC. True, only good for local banking but service otherwise was very good. I had a personal account with Shinsei and they were good. It was the very bad service of Shitty which infuriated everyone. At least at SMBC I could take a pot of mixed change in every so often and they'd happily pour it into one of those counting machine thingies. They'd growl at you in Shitty and send you to the corner with a pile of plastic baskets to count it out yourself. As the account was in Mr SS's name I'd have to get a form signed by him allowing me to make transactions on his behalf. Every time I had this form completed they would find something new and different that Mr SS "should have written". A friend badly injured his right hand and it was in a cast. Despite carrying ID the woman wouldn't allow him to make a counter transaction as his signature "differed" - I kid you not! Sorry, going on a bit, but you get the idea!

Quote Originally Posted by MovingIn07:
    Changing banks is easier said than done, especially when you have multiple accounts across many countries. I just wish I'd not signed up with them when I arrived in HK - it would have been easier to avoid in the first place than fix now.
    That's how I feel, I'm too tangled up with them for the chew of changing, especially as I suspect that the other banks have equally annoying policies.......example, Hang Seng, to change address you have to go in person with utility bill, (that reminds me of England, remember being nothing without a gas bill?).....

Quote Originally Posted by bryant.english:
    That's how I feel, I'm too tangled up with them for the chew of changing, especially as I suspect that the other banks have equally annoying policies.......example, Hang Seng, to change address you have to go in person with utility bill, (that reminds me of England, remember being nothing without a gas bill?).....
    I went into my local Barclays several years ago, while living in Japan and on holiday in UK. Was asked for 2 forms of ID, one of which should be a utility bill. I handed over my passport, showing my visa and explaining that even if I did have a bill she would be unable to read it (being in Japanese). Cashier tried to go jobsworth on me, raising her voice that Barclays rules state that you must have 2 forms of ID - until I asked her if she doubted that was me in the passport photo. Then asked her if she was actually able to read my address on her screen (Japanese but it was in Roman letters obviously). She was unable to, I recited it and she sullenly handed the money over.

..........and I thought the French were World Champions in ranting and complaining.

Gosh, never thought the Brits would actually be better than us at something one day...

Original Post Deleted
    Yes, Mr SS blamed the J authorities for most of their bad service.
    Yes, Barclays also do have an infuriating device though, as I said, I don't mind so much about Internet banking security stuff!

Are we allowed to use the security device for multiple accounts? I have hsbc in UK and HK.

No we have a different kind of gadget for our Singapore account and a very archaic password thing for Channel Islands!

Quote Originally Posted by Satay Sue:
    To be honest I don't have a problem with VBV or the security device. Makes me feel more comfortable using Internet banking. Not that much hassle really and means fraudulent use much less likely.
    But any fraudulent use of your accounts is covered by the bank, no? So why feel uncomfortable worrying that someone might hack into your account?

The security gadgets is for HSBC to protect themselves, not you. HSBC are burdening you with extra physical gadget to protect themselves.
    TheBrit likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by WMDS:
    Are we allowed to use the security device for multiple accounts? I have hsbc in UK and HK.
    Nope, I have two (identical) security devices, one for HSBC HK and another for HSBC Australia

Quote Originally Posted by Rob2020:
    Nope, I have two (identical) security devices, one for HSBC HK and another for HSBC Australia
    I have 5. Two identical ones for different HK business accounts; one (new design) for my personal HK account; 2 (old design) for my NZ, Australia accounts. And, oh joy, nothing for my HSBC International account. Although how much longer they will be able to hold out against the tide is a mystery.