Like Tree19Likes

And I thought HSBC could not get any harder to use....

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

And I thought HSBC could not get any harder to use....

But I was wrong.

Just tried to make a small transfer and now I discover that I am required to play around with my security device to even transfer a few bucks. Press this button, type in numbers, press another button, type in the numbers displayed

WHAT A BLOODY PALAVA.

I was not exactly trying to transfer my entire fortune. It took four attempts - first time I didn't realise that I had to press the yellow button; second and third attempts I did exactly as it said and it just failed; then it locked me out of my account so I had to ring up ... that sent me around a phone banking spiral for a while without any useful result, finally get to speak to someone who resets my account and the fourth attempted worked.

COULD IT GET MUCH HARDER?

I used to transfer money to other people's accounts all the time in NZ, it was a few second process. These days I prefer to give people cash or cheques because online banking here is so bloody hard to use. And going backwards rather than forwards....

luckycat likes this.

Have you come accross that 'verified by visa' palava yet? That will make you cry..

luckycat and justlooking like this.

VBV and its cousin SecureCode were brought in to combat a real problem and they have worked very nicely.

As for HSBC and its yellow button, I've read the documentation, re-read it, I'm well versed in security and still fail to see what problem it has solved. The Dongle by itself gave fairly good security. The added complexity of the yellow button was not necessary IMHO.

Getting cash out of them isn't any easier. Every HSBC ATM in Central (HSBC main building, Pedder Road, Hollywood Road, Caine Road) was inexplicably out of cash last Friday (09/30).

Quote Originally Posted by vinyljunky:
    Getting cash out of them isn't any easier. Every HSBC ATM in Central (HSBC main building, Pedder Road, Hollywood Road, Caine Road) was inexplicably out of cash last Friday (09/30).
    Same with the ones in wanchai...I wonder why

They have just introduced the same device to HSBC UK.

Not as bad as Nationwide security device, where you have to put your card into the device to generate numbers.

End of the day, if you don't like the system, they are not forcing you to bank with them. If you don't like it, change banks.

shri likes this.

Changing banks is easier said than done, especially when you have multiple accounts across many countries. I just wish I'd not signed up with them when I arrived in HK - it would have been easier to avoid in the first place than fix now.

To be honest I don't have a problem with VBV or the security device. Makes me feel more comfortable using Internet banking. Not that much hassle really and means fraudulent use much less likely.

JaredHK likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Satay Sue:
    To be honest I don't have a problem with VBV or the security device. Makes me feel more comfortable using Internet banking. Not that much hassle really and means fraudulent use much less likely.
    Have you tried the new transfer protocols with the yellow button?

Quote Originally Posted by MovingIn07:
    Have you tried the new transfer protocols with the yellow button?
    I'm holding on to my old security devices as long as I can!

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast