Like Tree32Likes

Are Overseas Domestic Helpers Underpaid?

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Are Overseas Domestic Helpers Underpaid?

In 1962 the Salary of a Live in Chinese Amah ranged from HK$300-400 per month.
    Rent for a 2 bedroom apartment about 800 sq feet in Mid level & TST was HK$ 300-400 pm.
    Starting salary of an office clerk ranged between HK$200-300 per month.
    In 2011 the Domestic helpers cost about HK$ 5,000 pm ( inclusive of travel to home)
    800 sq ft apartment rents between $20,000- $25,000 per month.
    Starting Salary of the clerk ranges between $8,000-$10,000.
    What do you think? are the domestic helpers underpaid?

dear giant likes this.

Yes, definitely. Not only because of the comparisons you posted, but because of the work they do every day and the sh!t they have to take from many of their "owners" 24/7.

dear giant likes this.

My helper has no outgoings whatsoever other than what she spends when she goes out with her friends. So no utility bills, food, rent or medical bills. I'm pretty sure this amounts to a lot more money than you think.

our helpers, too.

i figure that salary plus all of the extras, for us, comes to about $6500-7000 each. but then again, ours get more than the minimum wage, more for food allowance than the mandated, private landlines (mobiles don't work at our house), one has nowtv with the filipino channels (i pay more for his connection than i do for ours!), 110' bedrooms (each has their own), 80' bathrooms (each has their own).

i DO realise that not all helpers are in the same situation. but then again, not all employers are in the same situation either.

How does the calculation work out if you compare with Singapore and other Asian cities?

I think that one can say that comparatively, the DH today is not paid as well as the DH in the 60's assuming the numbers are correct. However, if the employers respect the law and the DH doesn't work more than she should and is provided with what she is entitled to, it's probably not vastly different and the pay is fair compared to what locals earn on minimum wage.

Of course, much of the problem lies in the system which is rigged so that abuses are common.

Last edited by gilleshk; 09-10-2011 at 03:15 PM.

We actually pay our helper more than she got in Singapore (and a lot more than the legal minimum here) as she has a much smaller room! We've stuck to the same agreement too, she gets a return flight home each year and we pay for all her toiletries too. She also eats what we eat, unless she doesn't want it -which is about once a month - so she eats really well too.

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer:
    What do you think? are the domestic helpers underpaid?
    Why, is there a shortage of Domestic helpers that want to come to HK?

1962 2010 increase
    DH wages $400 $5,000 x12.5
    Office clerk $300 $8,000 x26
    Small flat $400 $20,000 x50

Looking at your table it would seem that the area that has seen a disproportionately high increase is the cost of housing.

For an office clerk almost certainly the requirements for employment are higher than they were 50 years ago with a greater knowledge of business, IT, Languages etc.

For a domestic help the advent of modern domestic appliances has made their job much easier (still not a job many would want to do - granted).

House price inflation is a standard Government policy to keep the rich, rich through asset inflation . If they 'printed' more flats they would become accessible to more people to but the rich would end up transferring some of there wealth to the poor as their flat value would drop. But that is not likely to happen.
    Last edited by East_coast; 09-10-2011 at 05:40 PM.

I think once you factor in their lack of expenses, the salary seems quite reasonable.

Domestic helpers:

1962 Chinese Amah, also did not have any expenses, except of course, supporting their family. The present salary may seems reasonable,but considering the hours normally put in by most helpers, it does seem inadequate.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob2020:
    I think once you factor in their lack of expenses, the salary seems quite reasonable.
    dear giant likes this.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast