Like Tree119Likes

More post/parcel/mail craziness (long story)

Closed Thread
Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by gilleshk:
    Interesting story but you just had to make it a HK thing as usual as opposed to a random act by a pissed off employee...

I guess you may not know the origin of the expression "going postal"? If I were to use the same kind of prejudice you often do, I'd say you're lucky you didn't get shot like you might have been in a certain country...
    That's right ! In Turkey a whole bunch of us would go straight to jail for discrediting the nation and its people. In Thailand never joke about the king. I call them the T countries, the tough countries.
    dear giant likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Morrison:
    That's right ! In Turkey a whole bunch of us would go straight to jail for discrediting the nation and its people. In Thailand never joke about the king. I call them the T countries, the tough countries.
    Gilles is trying to officially make HK a T country. He wants to call it Thong Kong

When I first came to HK and trolled around TST someone threw a full cup into the post office and it splashed all over the place upon impact.
    Funny thing is two black guys inside shouted " is this the jungle or what ?" ROFL

dear giant likes this.

You can point out that people are generally less confrontational in HK either in a positive way as in saying that it's better than resolving it with a gun as might have been done in other countries or you can whine about it and turn it into a negative thing like spitting in your soup.

Personally, I prefer spit in my soup than a bullet between the eye, a knife in my ribs or a fist in my face. I guess I'm just too sensitive that way...

In any case, the story would have been perfectly fine and interesting without the little negative diatribe but he just had to put it in there because he seems incapable of ever saying anything without any kind of jab at HK/China or the Chinese.

I'm very happy to be proven wrong if someone has the patience to dig up a few posts from the OP highlighting something positive for a change...

You can point out that people are generally less confrontational in HK either in a positive way as in saying that it's better than resolving it with a gun as might have been done in other countries or you can whine about it and turn it into a negative thing like spitting in your soup.
    So what you're saying is instead of making negative generalizations about HK, you can do it about 'other countries'

Brilliant.
    dear giant likes this.

I think the Chinese can live with it, unlike DeletedUser.ish or many other nationalities

Quote Originally Posted by justjoe86:
    So what you're saying is instead of making negative generalizations about HK, you can do it about 'other countries'

Brilliant.
    Well, I didn't specifically dump on any country and unlike statements that deal with attitude. You can actually look at statistical information like shooting incidents and stabbings which doesn't fall into generalization.

You can statistically say that your chances of getting shot or stabbed are lower in HK than in many other countries if not most. That is a fact not a generalization or stereotype. Do you need me to write it in caps so that you'll understand better?

If they are attempting to steal your mail and obtain your full HKID number, I seriously doubt it's because you are non-Chinese. If they are crooked,you can be certain they will be trying to cheat Chinese people too .... we've had parcels go missing in Australia and also in India. Definitely not limited to interactions between Chinese and non-Chinese people.

dear giant likes this.

Well, I didn't specifically dump on any country
    Well...

I'd say you're lucky you didn't get shot like you might have been in a certain country...
    I think we all knew what you meant by 'a certain country'.
    Last edited by justjoe86; 15-10-2011 at 10:41 PM.
    dear giant and luckycat like this.

Personally, I prefer spit in my soup than a bullet between the eye, a knife in my ribs or a fist in my face. I guess I'm just too sensitive that way...

In any case, the story would have been perfectly fine and interesting without the little negative diatribe but he just had to put it in there because he seems incapable of ever saying anything without any kind of jab at HK/China or the Chinese.

I'm very happy to be proven wrong if someone has the patience to dig up a few posts from the OP highlighting something positive for a change...
    Would you believe that I lived in the United States for decades without being shot or knifed and without shooting or knifing anyone else?

I don't try to put a positive spin on the relentless drizzle of only-happens-in-HK BS that my wife and I deal with. Your problem is that you want everyone to engage in doublethink and self-censorship regarding the reality of living in HK and you get aggravated when they don't.

Instead of nipping at the heels of posters whom you feel are portraying HK in a negative light, why not "be the change that you want to see" and post a thread on this forum each day about some pleasantly surprising event/experience that you've just had in Hong Kong? [Note: should involve real Hong Kong people and not flora and fauna or inanimate objects, like interestingly shaped stones or bollards marking historic buildings/fortifications that have since been torn down, that you've encountered on your hikes.]
    luckycat likes this.

Closed Thread
Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast