Like Tree23Likes

Maggi Noodles!

Closed Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

"We are what we eat."
    Many Indian informants were saying that the 2nd or 3rd generation in Indians in Hong Kong were not being Indian enough, they might not wear sari except on special occasions, they might not celebrate the religious festivals seriously, it seems that food is one of the ways in which Indian identity could be established and traditions were passed on. and that's why I've posted this question here.
    I am not trying to sayif Maggi is as good as a mother's cooking, of if all Indians likes Maggi. I am just trying to know why certain food would remind you that you are an Indian. I hope this would make the question more clear.

Absolutely a troll.

Growing up in Australia, I remember "Maggi 2 minute noodles". They are a very westernised brand of noodles in my opinion, nothing Indian or Asian about them at all.

Natfixit and bookblogger like this.

Quote Originally Posted by MovingIn07:
    Absolutely a troll.
    Even if troll, I really find it interesting to know if there are others too who miss good old Maggi days.

Quote Originally Posted by pizzalover:
    What is Onion Bhaji?
    They do decent ones in Marks and Spencer (well decent to my ex-British palate anyway!)

Bhajji - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Quote Originally Posted by Satay Sue:
    They do decent ones in Marks and Spencer (well decent to my ex-British palate anyway!)

Bhajji - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    These days I have given up cooking Indian from scratch - I just pick up the M&S boxes - for the UK palate they are great! Convenient. Quick. And I don't get any nasty after-effects (so common in a few other choices of indian food.....)

And just a random note about instant noodles - I love the Japanese ones, Nissin tonkotsu particularly. Way too much salt and other stuff that's bad but taste so good!

Quote Originally Posted by crowny:
    Hello everyone, I'm Crowny from the Chinese University of Hong Kong, I'm assisting my professor on a project about Indians in Hong Kong. I'd like to know what kind of food remind you of your Indianess, and why. Would Maggi Noodles be one of such typical food?
    Crowny, I am glad to have meeting you very much.

Maggi noodles reminded me of when I had my little shop in Delhi, that's me with the beard. Thank you so much and good luck..

Me in my shop!

Last edited by bryant.english; 25-10-2011 at 05:12 PM.

I hate maggi Mie. I prefer Indonesian instant noodle. *helloooo MSG*

Quote Originally Posted by crowny:
    Hello everyone, I'm Crowny from the Chinese University of Hong Kong, I'm assisting my professor on a project about Indians in Hong Kong. I'd like to know what kind of food remind you of your Indianess, and why. Would Maggi Noodles be one of such typical food?
    whoooooaaa! Maggi- Indian food????

As far as I've known, Maggi is synonymous with the German student population. There are Maggi food stores in just about every major town/city in Germany.

Recalling my student days, Indian fodder for me consisted of veggie Jalfrezis, onion Bahjis .