Like Tree7Likes

Where can I buy pasteurized eggs in Hong Kong?

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Where can I buy pasteurized eggs in Hong Kong?

I will be in HK over Christmas and would look to make some eggnog. Where would I be able to buy pasteurized eggs in Hong Kong? I know the risks might be low but I prefer to be on the safer side.

I'm going to have to google that one. Pasturised eggs?

To be safest, I think you better bring your own from your own country with their own chickens.

Cant be careful enough these days...

If you're willing to risk it, you can buy Organic NZ eggs here for about 10x the price of local eggs. Last time I looked, they were about $10 each as opposed to $1 each for local eggs.

Last edited by HowardCoombs; 27-10-2011 at 06:06 PM.
    100LL, Cwbguy and Dreadnought like this.

i don't buy local eggs. i get the regular ones from the USA.

Why do the eggs have such a long shelf life here? I saw some that said they were laid in September and apparently BBE end December. Is that normal??

Quote Originally Posted by nlh1309:
    Why do the eggs have such a long shelf life here? I saw some that said they were laid in September and apparently BBE end December. Is that normal??
    That's a good question. And in local wet markets I see stalls selling eggs that are stored somewhere on a shelf or on the floor and not in the refrigerator. Where I am from, people (and probably the food/hygiene inspection officer) would be shocked/scared/afraid.

I buy US eggs too, but they seem to be out of stock the moment so I am settling for Thai eggs

I also noticed the cheaper the eggs, the thinner the egg shell (ie. my Thai eggs almost break when I touch them).
    Last edited by 100LL; 27-10-2011 at 07:41 PM.
    dear giant likes this.

Eggs keep for AGES and not necessarily in a fridge either. We kept chickens when I was a kid, and they lay one egg a day (or one every two days). One chicken was not laying in the henhouse and it took ages to figure out where she was going. Eventually I managed to follow her to a gap in the hedge and there, under the hedge was her nest with her (daily-ish) egg collection. 56 eggs, height of UK summer (so not exactly hot, but not cold either). Mum broke them all one at a time and used them all. Every single one was fine.

chingleutsch likes this.

Saw pasteurized eggs in Wellcome by Fortress Hill Station the other night, also had not seen the term applied to eggs before. I am suspicious of Chinese eggs based on guilt about battery hens. Can't imagine animal welfare is high on the priority list cross border. Probably a totally spurious prejudice and based on no facts but find myself selecting Thai eggs instead

Yep, unless it's really hot you don't need to refrigerate eggs. I have seen "pasteurised eggs" in the supermarkets around Mid-levels. How do you pasteurise an egg then?
    I also don't buy local eggs, in a similar to Wangavegas gal - I don't know much about them though.

Quote Originally Posted by Satay Sue:
    Yep, unless it's really hot ...
    like in HK?

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast