Wharf T&T

Closed Thread

Wharf T&T

Has anyone tried out the Wharf T&T fixline telephone service? Their $33/month fee is the cheapest I've seen. Even 'though it reverts to $89 after first 8 months, its still cheaper than the $110 that PCCW charges. Also, Wharf won't charge the $475 PCCW require for installation.
    I believe Hutichson (HGC) also offer fix line as well as HK Broadband Net.
    Pls share any experience you may have with these providers. Thanks.

I am using HGC and no problems. Some friends of mine are using WT&T and I haven't heard anything negative either. For basic service there should not be any issues, unless you are a die-hard PCCW customer who is interested in such services as SMS-from-landline phone, or part of their points programme.

Many of the lines used by wharf and the rest of the telcos are PCCW lines which have been bought in bulk, being resold.

hmm. that sounds good. so when one moves in to their new place, are tel co options including wharf given or is it something one must seek out on one's own?

finaltest

The lease does not include utilties .. you'd most probably (99%) have contact the various utilities like the phone, electricity etc and get them to turn on or switch the billing to your name.

Usually takes a day or two at the most.

Thanks guys for the info! I called PCCW and they had the nerve to tell me that they will refund the installation fee ($475) over a 18month period (when HGC and Wharf offer free installation). I guess people still fall for these marketing ploys.

Instead using one service provider (fix line, broadband, and CableTV), I'm going to end up with 3 different ones (Wharf T&T, i-Cable, HK Broadbandnet respectively) because they offer the best deals (in order to take shares away from the entrenched).

I'm glad I've done my homework before being trap into any long term agreement.

That is a good point, going with a single provider *usually* gives you the convenience of single billing. How much that is worth to you is another matter.

Tex, I believe that after moving in, you can call any of the alternative operators and see if they have coverage to your building. PCCW has the most coverage, obviously.

Quote Originally Posted by tex:
    hmm. that sounds good. so when one moves in to their new place, are tel co options including wharf given or is it something one must seek out on one's own?

if you change providers from PCCW to Wharf T&T, can you still have the same telephone number ?

Anyone have done this before ?

Local number portability, this is a common standard offered for years and def. yes is supported. I think it may even be mandated by OFTA to encourage market liberalization.

I kept the same # when changing from PCCW to HGC.

Quote Originally Posted by chikakeru:
    if you change providers from PCCW to Wharf T&T, can you still have the same telephone number ?

Anyone have done this before ?