regarding domestic helper using mobiles

Closed Thread

Unhappy regarding domestic helper using mobiles

Hi, I have a lived-in Indonesian helper, and she has been working for 6 months.

She has been very good, but these days, we are a little bit irritated about her using mobiles so much.

I think she has the right to use the mobiles, but I think using the mobiles while she is on duty is dishonest.

For example, she was talking on the phone using earphones when serving dineer yesterday.
    She did not stop it. I was not happy since I wanted her to serve us sincerely and also it was so noisy.

I think she talkes or mails a lot also while taking care of the kid, and which I really hate...

For other points, she is very good, so today I just wrote down that we do not expect you using the mobiles when serving us and taking care of the kid. I do not mind she calls while cleaning (since we are satisfied with her cleaning). She has her own room, and she normally finishes at 9 pm, so I think she has enough time to call and mail.

However, since I am not good at telling some things directly, I am worried if I did the right thing.

Has anyone had the same kind of experience? Or can someone advise me?

Be stern.

Clearly lay out the rules that you expect her not to use the mobile whilst she is working on certain taks like careing for your child, serving your dinner etc.

She is taking the piss....

it would be better to give her a verbal warning - tell her that whilst you do not have objections her using the phone, tell her that you find it rude and unacceptable for her to be on the phone when performing her duties. yes lay down the rules.

then a written one if she does not comply, and let her acknowledge it. keep copies for future references. in the future after several warnings,and you decide to dismiss her, she cannot go back on you for unfair dismissal and she has no case if she brings it up to the labor tribunal.

digressing a little bit - i usually see domestic helpers supposedly walking their dog - go meet their friends and chat or use the mobile fone all the time to call friends and families. the dog just sit with them and are not walked. poor dog.

We often say that if we had our dog here we would put a gps tracker on it just to see if it made it beyoind the end of the street.

In our office personal calls are not to me made outside of lunchtime. We wouldn't have had to make this rule if a few key people were on the phone for personal stuff virtually all day. This is not acceptable in an office and shouldn't be acceptable in your home. You determine what is appropriate and set the rules. She is your employee not your friend.

She also lives in your home and is w/ your kids all the time. I see these questions pop up from time to time and it always intrigues me.

She is a human being. You could just talk to her.

Thanks for every comments.
    We talked to her, and also wrote down the rules.
    I hope she follows.
    I see a lot of helpers using the mobiles, and their taking care of kids just play nearby. I do not think they are babysitting, they are just staying together.

I really hope that she understands.

She should understand. You have every right to insist she doesn't use them when she's working. If she doesn't understand, it's not your fault. We've set times for when our helper can and can't use her phone and she abides by the rules.