View Poll Results: How frequent is your helper sick (flue, virus, anything else)?

Voters
24. You may not vote on this poll
  • Never

8 33.33%
  • Few days per year (below a week in total)

7 29.17%
  • Once or twice per year for about 1 week in total

2 8.33%
  • Once or twice per year for about 2 weeks in total

2 8.33%
  • 3-4 times per year for about 3 weeks in total

0 0%
  • Every month 1-3 days

3 12.50%
  • Every month 3-7 days

2 8.33%

Helper sick days… for these who have them

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

What are the legalities with this anyway? I'm assuming getting sick is breach of contract? Seems cruel to kick someone when they are down to my little western sensibilites but what the heck do I know I never had a maid/helper/domestic whatever the most common word is these days - nor have I lived full-time in HK. If you think she is pretending to be sick that's another thing just like in any other job...

don't see how getting sick could be construed as breaching the contract. generally speaking, one has no control over getting sick...

Quote Originally Posted by carang:
    don't see how getting sick could be construed as breaching the contract. generally speaking, one has no control over getting sick...
    Sorry, yes, that's what I meant. I was unclear. I don't see how one would even consider firing someone for getting sick in most countries, or ask people whether you should fire someone because they are sick. I'm not pretending to know how it works in HK. Maybe that sorta thing is more acceptable there, I have no idea. I certainly could not fire one of my contracted employees in Canada for getting the flu now and again! Just trying to get an understanding of HK. Cheers.

I think in the UK you can discipline people for attendance issues. You can certainly require them to go and see your chosen doctors etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Beanieskis:
    This has only been going on since December? That's not long at all. I've had a cold on and off (started with flu like symptoms) that just won't go since early Jan. Not taken any days off, but then my job's not manual.

I'd give it a bit longer before you think about replacing her.
    Pretty sure the original poster wrote that back in August of 2007, which would make it eight or nine months of frequent sick days. But I could be wrong.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2