View Poll Results: How frequent is your helper sick (flue, virus, anything else)?

Voters
24. You may not vote on this poll
  • Never

8 33.33%
  • Few days per year (below a week in total)

7 29.17%
  • Once or twice per year for about 1 week in total

2 8.33%
  • Once or twice per year for about 2 weeks in total

2 8.33%
  • 3-4 times per year for about 3 weeks in total

0 0%
  • Every month 1-3 days

3 12.50%
  • Every month 3-7 days

2 8.33%

Helper sick days… for these who have them

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Helper sick days… for these who have them

Hi All,
    Due to frequent sickness of my helper (and such of me&my family as a result), I am thinking about changing her to another one.
    It would be great if you could share how frequent in average your helper is being sick. Use the poll.

For accuracy of results, please only participate if you have a full time helper for at least a year or over.

Last edited by Traffic; 20-08-2007 at 11:26 AM.

(Sorry - I voted before you made your edit, but I have had the same part-time helper for more than 6 years, so my sample size (total number of days) is just as big as full-time for a year).

What is the doctor's advice regarding your helper's health? Does she have adequate living conditions (ventilated, air-conditioned, suitable bedding, enough time outside the house in sunlight, etc)?

Quote Originally Posted by PDLM:
    What is the doctor's advice regarding your helper's health? Does she have adequate living conditions (ventilated, air-conditioned, suitable bedding, enough time outside the house in sunlight, etc)?
    She is doing well with living (A Class building), air condition, ventilation etc. are great and she just came from 2 months holidays...
    Doctors are saying these are viral infections and I have no idea where she gets it...

more opinions welcome

I can't vote because I have not had a helper for one year but just to note that this time of year tends to be really bad for viruses in Hong Kong, I guess because of the weather. How long has it been going on?

Could it be that she is catching them off your children rather than the other way around and she has low immunity for some reason?

Quote Originally Posted by hullexile:
    I can't vote because I have not had a helper for one year but just to note that this time of year tends to be really bad for viruses in Hong Kong, I guess because of the weather. How long has it been going on?

Could it be that she is catching them off your children rather than the other way around and she has low immunity for some reason?
    It started in December already, so it's not recent/seasonal.
    Don't think she catches from children - she just came from 2 months vocation and been seek before contacting us.

If my helper took 3 to 7 days off every month sick I would consider her unsuitable for employment and find another helper.

Mine has been with me for 9 years now, and apart from a few weeks off for an operation, and a few days off in those 9 yrs sick, has been totally reliable.

I've been living with my relatives (well different ones), and they all have helpers FT. And none of them have ever taken a sick day off. I think if they're living in house, if they are sick, they can still work, just maybe just cut down and do the essentials... Leaving them some time for rest.

If it's a viral infection it may take a long while to get rid of it. You maybe need to read up a bit on viral infections and how the body deals with it. There are no drugs you can take to help, the body has to deal with it on it's own.

She could have picked it up anywhere, including your house regardless of whether it's class A building or not. Some viral infections can go within days, some take months to expel from the system and after effects can last for over a year.

This has only been going on since December? That's not long at all. I've had a cold on and off (started with flu like symptoms) that just won't go since early Jan. Not taken any days off, but then my job's not manual.

I'd give it a bit longer before you think about replacing her.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast