Like Tree24Likes

English humour / Ricky Gervais

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Try and catch the Graham Norton Show - he's great at putting awesome British comedic talent on his couch alongside the Hollywood biggies. I've discovered Sarah Millican, Ed Byrne, Jimmy Carr, John Bishop and so many more, from that show.

emx and xxxquen like this.

Apart from the names mentioned above, try Are you being served and allo allo...even 2point4 children was a good family comedy.

I find British humor pretty difficult. I get it, I just doing find a lot of it funny. I love Gervais' humor that he shows in standup, interviews the radio show, but not his shows.

I like British comedians' standup and improv more then the shows they act in. Love watching Qi, Buzzcocks, Lie and pure standup shows.

The few shows I have liked are It Crowd, Red Dwarf, The Trip, The Mighty Blush and Dark Place. But most of those are not typical British TV humor, more geek humor.

Definitely prefer more layered, building US comedies. Not that it is smarter or whatever, just different style which I prefer.

For British humour, watch dine with me.

Quote Originally Posted by WMDS:
    For British humour, watch dine with me.
    Yes watched the Oz version and without Harry Hill is isn't funny at all.

Quote Originally Posted by virago:
    Are you talking about the Inbetweeners, the movie? I watched that just now. Pretty funny.

Love that Black comedy. Black Books was great. Blackadder is the favourite. The Office is great and the US remake is very good too.
    Did a bit black books yesterday - customer service (Irish style) scene. Saying goodbyes to client with a broom. How fantastic. And Dylan Maon always look drink in his standups?!

Quote Originally Posted by methosb:
    I find British humor pretty difficult. I get it, I just doing find a lot of it funny. I love Gervais' humor that he shows in standup, interviews the radio show, but not his shows.

I like British comedians' standup and improv more then the shows they act in. Love watching Qi, Buzzcocks, Lie and pure standup shows.

The few shows I have liked are It Crowd, Red Dwarf, The Trip, The Mighty Blush and Dark Place. But most of those are not typical British TV humor, more geek humor.

Definitely prefer more layered, building US comedies. Not that it is smarter or whatever, just different style which I prefer.
    I am a piece of shit in IT but I program instructions to programers every day. How geeky they are.... but really - sounds i should give it a go for it crowd to explore their planet.

And people, I did not expect so many comments. Ace =)

I loved "The Office" but I thought "Extras" was even better! Same brand of humor but the Gervais character is a lot more likable and less over-the-top.

I also really enjoy the comedy of Mitchell and Webb. Laughed my head off at every season of "Peep Show".

The one thing I have never understood is the men dressing as women and portraying a woman badly on purpose. Can a Brit enlighten me on this British comedy phenomenon? Is it an old British comedy tradition? Do some people find it funny?

Last edited by methosb; 22-12-2011 at 12:40 PM.

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast