Like Tree24Likes

English humour / Ricky Gervais

Closed Thread
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by methosb:
    The one thing I have never understood is the men dressing as women and portraying a woman badly on purpose. Can a Brit enlighten me on this British comedy phenomenon? Is it an old British comedy tradition? Do some people find it funny?
    Partly related to the pantomime dame, and related to appearing in drag. While pantomime dames are very British, appearing in drag is found in many cultures.

I do understand what the character is. More that I don't really get why it is used so often in British comedy shows. I thought it is probably traditional to have that character in sketch shows especially, and to show those comedians' renditions of a classic character.

I don't think "Spaced" has been mentioned yet. It was Simon Pegg's first big break ("Scotty" and the tech in Mission Impossible) and directed by Edgar Wright later known for "Shaun of the Dead" and "Scott Piligrim vs the World" . Also, try to track down "Rock Profile". It's the TV show Matt Lucas and David Walliams did before Little Britain. The Abba one, in particular, is brilliant and another example of drag in British comedy.

Miranda is fun. I personally really love the characters in Gavin and Stacey

yes minister

I watched Yes Minister last night: It's funny! I've now downloaded the first season.

Quote Originally Posted by paul9:
    I watched Yes Minister last night: It's funny! I've now downloaded the first season.
    Finally!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by paul9:
    Clever comedy

Not English, I know, but a brand of silly that appeals to me.

ouwen
    Quote Originally Posted by virago:
    Are you talking about the Inbetweeners, the movie? I watched that just now. Pretty funny.

Love that Black comedy. Black Books was great. Blackadder is the favourite. The Office is great and the US remake is very good too.

Are you being served?

Mr Bean
    Last edited by ouwen; 04-06-2013 at 09:56 PM.

British comedies are by far the best that I seen with clever scripts and writing. In HK, the comedies are just pure crap.
    During my University days in the UK, Only Fools and Horses was by far the best comedy out there together with Blackadder. There was also clever writing in Fawlty Towers.