Like Tree41Likes

How Safe is Hong Kong, Exactly?

Closed Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5

In Tokyo it seems the only things that get stolen are bicycles (or their parts!) or umbrellas! I recall a news reporter leaving a camera at Shibuya crossing (a very busy interchange) and it remained there overnight and beyond, noone picked it up. You can "reserve" your table in a cafe or fast-food outlet by leaving your designer purse/wallet on it - it will still be there when you get back to your seat and noone will complain!

vroom likes this.

Original Post Deleted
    I did this with a week old dslr in Whitby (north of London, if you're wondering, TB) at a fish and chip restaurant. They also wrapped it up and sent it on its way, but not before taking a shot of all their staff giving the thumbs up. Brilliant
    bookblogger and MovingIn07 like this.

Even the taxi drivers get upset in Japan if you accidentally over pay them a couple of Yen. Taxi drivers for heavens sake!?!

vroom likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by refugees:
    As far as i know, HK is largely controlled by organized triads like Sun Yee On, Wo Shing Wo, 14K, Wo Hop To & etc. Even though they are triads, the cops r well aware and informed about their presence. I believe (i might be wrong) they actually close one eye on their operation as long as they don't go out of line and attract unnecessary media attentions. They need them to maintain social order.

These triads controlled significant of Hk daily lives & illegal activities, such as F&B, Mini bus, protection, narcotics, gambling, prostitution & money laundering. They usually operate within the designated boundries and area.

Most of their crimes are motivated by $$ or women, so they won't create trouble with normal folks (espc foreigners) for no monetary rewards. This is why we feel safe wondering around Mongkok at 2am as long as u mind your own biz. In fact, the last things they want is petty crimes happening at their area.

So in summary, HK is generally a very safe country as long as you dont get your head into the dark side.
    This sounds like a preface to a crime novel.

Quote Originally Posted by luckycat:
    I did this with a week old dslr in Whitby (north of London, if you're wondering, TB) at a fish and chip restaurant. They also wrapped it up and sent it on its way, but not before taking a shot of all their staff giving the thumbs up. Brilliant
    Wrapped it in newspaper, with a dash of salt and vinegar?
    luckycat likes this.

Ha ha! I wish!! The original fish and chips were in newspaper though - the only way to eat fish and chips imho

Closed Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5