nokia N95 reviews

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by ICEBreaker:
    Jimbo: KS20 also an excellent phone. But it doesn't make the grade, since the camera is a very outdated 2MP one.
    Nobody really needs a 5mp camera on a smartphone though, 2mp is adequate for most peoples needs.

Quote Originally Posted by jimbo:
    Nobody really needs a 5mp camera on a smartphone though, 2mp is adequate for most peoples needs.
    I agree. And it's not the number of megapixels, but the quality of the camera. I have had Motorola V3 and SE w810. Both 2 mp. Let me say the w810 produces a fantastic pic and beats the V3 hands down.

Having said that, I have a k810i now and the larger pic (3mp) does allow for more cropping.

Sorry, I cannot disagree with you more. 2MP (W810) produces poor quality photos, where only photos under ideal lighting produces vaguely acceptable results. Even then, it is not good enough for developing. 3MP (K810) is much better, and is able to capture photo-like quality shots, but only under ideal situations. However, 5MP (N95) is the only camera phone I know of which is finally able to capture half decent photos under all conditions, including dark environments.

Since I've had all the above phones, I think I am at liberty to give a fair and objective assessment of how important mega pixels are at THIS stage of the pixel range. Without a doubt, 2MP cameras are unacceptable, while 3MP cameras do OK. 5MP is required if one wants to develop the photos. Needless to say, the N95 does not produce digital camera quality photos, but it does close the gap. Nobody who has actually owned a 5MP camera phone would ever say 2MP is adequate. 3MP, yes, barely.

Just to be on the record, I am not standing up for the N95. My first post criticises the phone on many counts, based on an objective assessment. However, I think people are going overboard when they start comparing it with plainly inferior phones, and claiming certain features or specifications are "unnecessary".

As for the camera lens, that's essential as well. Which is why N95 rules, since it has the Carl Zeiss Optics. The coming K series will also have similar implements and there compete well in this area.

Needless to say, the Motorola and LG's that do not have such sophisticated optics will produce poor quality photos no matter what MPs they have. Result: KS20 is definitely out of the race here. It's Nokia and SE going head to head.

I dont think I would be buying anything except Nokia phone and now waiting for 8GB phone.
    I had sony, nokia and motorola phones before , and trust me, I will NEVER go for anything else except Nokia. No offense meant, but I really dint like Sony and Motorola.

Well there are plenty of good Nokia phones to choose from. If you want a smart phone (but without the thrills) the E61 is great. I've mentioned the N76 many times already, as it's a wonderful mid range phone. On the high end (again without the thrills) you can go for the 8600, which is in a class of its own. And on the low end, there's the 6500 slider which really sweet.

Sony Ericsson has/had a fatal flaw. That joystick sucks big time. It stops working after about 6 months. It's a common problem as almost all my friends experience it. The newer versions do without the joystick.

The charger head is also one of the stupidest design ever, and it forces you to purchase a new charger annually. The same goes for the wired headphone heads.

I am not one to handle my electronic devices roughly, but SE phones are a real pain sometimes. I wonder if they do it on purpose to shorten the lifespan of their goods.

Quote Originally Posted by ICEBreaker:
    Sony Ericsson has/had a fatal flaw. That joystick sucks big time. It stops working after about 6 months. It's a common problem as almost all my friends experience it. The newer versions do without the joystick.

The charger head is also one of the stupidest design ever, and it forces you to purchase a new charger annually. The same goes for the wired headphone heads.

I am not one to handle my electronic devices roughly, but SE phones are a real pain sometimes. I wonder if they do it on purpose to shorten the lifespan of their goods.

I am on my third SE starting with the t610 and the k610 and I also have a w200, Not once have I had an issue with the joysticks, The t610 died after 3 years which is perfectly acceptable as I upgrade usually every 6 months anyway.

The Chargers are fine and no different in quality etc to anything from Motorola, Samsung, Nokia etc etc.

Having worked for Orange and O2 in the U.K I know exactly what the quality of phones etc from other manufacturers are like, TBH I would not buy another Nokia phone ever due to the image etc the firm has especially in the U.k, i.e The phone of choice for Chavs due to the sheer simplicity of the user interface and interchangeability of the covers plus they just look cheap.

I do admit to owning a Nokia 770 internet tablet though but it does crash on a regular basis.

Quote Originally Posted by jimbo:
    ... I upgrade usually every 6 months anyway. ...
    I've personally owned three SEs, and used two other SEs within these couple of years, and each and every one of them (except Z800) has the joystick problem. The joystick on the K810 is still holding out, but the K800 was a goner months ago. Everyone I know (4 people), also complained about the joystick, except one colleague. The SE label falling off the K700 and the red dot falling off the W800 really says something about the quality of SE phones. Perhaps the UK batch of phones are better?

The reason why you have not had the problems mentioned is because you change phones every 6 months. Most of us want a phone to last over one year. The joystick problem usually appears after 3 months to 9 months, depending on how often the person uses the phone. Those who play games on it would definitely wear out the joystick within 3 months.

As for the charger problem, I must admit, I've only had the problem with two phones and only one friend shares the problem. I used the Z800 for two years and in that time, I had to change the charger twice. It's keyboard started having problems after 1.5 years of use. As for the earphones, I used two pairs and both broke within 2 months each. I keep them rolled up nicely in my suit pocket when not in use. My friend's earphones also stopped working within 6 months, but she keeps hers in a handbag which is notorious for damaging earphones. We use bluetooth now to avoid this problem. What really fumes me up is the stupid design on the SEs. The interface of so many tiny teeth is very much prone to damage and wear and tear. Why did they have to redesign the tried and true jack interface is beyond my comprehension. There appears to be no additional benefits to this complicated design.

I am just offering my experience. I love SE phones as evident by how many SE phones I keep buying, and I recommend the brand to people all the time, despite its design problems. I do not have much experience with other phones such as Samsung, LG, Motorola, etc, so I cannot compare their quality. I don't choose them, as I consider Nokia and SE to be at the top of their game.
    Last edited by ICEBreaker; 19-10-2007 at 03:41 PM. Reason: typo

An interesting note. The other day I was going through a magazine which tests consumer goods. They ranked the N95 right at the bottom out of the 10 or so other phones. It had the lowest points on almost every category. It was too big, too heavy, poor battery usage, etc. It even said it had a bad camera and poor speakers. That's a shocker! It's got the best camera of any phone on the market, and is the only phone with stereo speakers. (Barring some unheard of ones).

Then I looked at the competing phones. The vast majority were low end phones, not even mid range. Well, yes, if they decided to use very basic criteria to judge a phone, then the N95 is nothing to brag about. But if we rated phones by features, then it's a different story. How many phones will adjust the display depending on the brightness of its environment?

Yes I usually upgrade every 6 months or so but I still use my K610 every day and I have had that for about 16 months now. And Yes I do play games on it every day and this phone was purchased in HK.

There are always some 'friday afternoon' batches out there regarldess of the brand and maybe you were just unlucky, I've never had a duff phone as yet touch wood.

Anyway back to the topic of Nokia N95, It just doesn't look sexy if you know what I mean, And I know plenty of people that do go for style over substance, Heck this is HK afterall!