Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
Like Tree13Likes

Buying a sampan...

Quote Originally Posted by 25kilo
    Moving, do you ever use your boat as a weekend get away etc or is it just a home permanently tied to the dock? I'm curious how hard/easy it is to actually get the permits / licenses to cruise around HK at leisure. If I employ a boatman to navigate through all the requirements is it possible?
    We never take ours anywhere. We need both master and engineer licences legally. Would have to hire a captain if we did - but have not interest in doing so as we'd have to pack everything up.

Hello everyone!
    Sorry for reviving this thread but I promised myself seven years ago (!) that I would post here if I ever came to get a PVOL license and actually buy a sampan... So to anyone who cares yes there are small traditional sampans to sell in HK. I purchased one in February, and she's a super funny ride (even in the middle of Victoria harbour). Don't give up, get your PVOL2 licence, and buy one too!

PS: finding a mooring for such a small boat is not difficult, and not expensive either.

Last edited by aresando; 21-05-2019 at 06:38 PM. Reason: forgot the PS

Thanks for the update, most interesting! How did you find it, and how much did it cost if you don't mind sharing? Also would like to know where you moor it and how much that costs. I ended up creating my own rent free mooring in Aberdeen typhoon shelter for my fishing boat (now sold), but it wasn't easy, and the boat almost got destroyed by a couple of typhoons until I figured out how to make it secure.

Hi!

I had a number of opportunities along the years. Prices ranged from HK$ 30k to HK$ 100k, based on:
    - the quality of the boat (hull, engine, electricity etc.)
    - the licence: the asking price was usually higher for taxi sampans than for fishing sampans. I guess class II licenses must be more difficult to obtain from the marine department. The boats are technically the same.
    - whether you have to pay the gweilo tax

I am moored in the Shau Kei Wan typhoon shelter. A slot in a cluster of boats will cost you a couple thousands per month there.

If you are looking for a mooring and don't want to visit them all, spread the news that you are interested and wait for someone to raise their hand, go to a broker. I found mine through Anthony from theboater.hk and highly recommend him!

chuckster007, jgl, shri and 1 others like this.

aresando likes this.

There are a couple of sampans moored in front of my block of flats- I think it's just "moor where you feel like it" on parts of Peng Chau. Based on the fact that I see laundry quite frequently, I am guessing that people live on board. We have toilets with showers on Peng Chau, you can make it work...the ultimate low cost rental..

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3