Giraffe seriously hurt!

Exclamation Giraffe seriously hurt!

As we are moving soon, lot's of property agents are currently bringing people to view our flat. Today, one of the prospective tenants bumped into our wooden giraffe and knocked it over. It lost one ear and both horns.

I managed to glue back all three body parts, but as it really knocked hard against the wall, there are some splinters missing, resulting in small but visible gaps. That the light color of the inner wood is now partial visible is actually most annoying (the giraffe is dark on the outside).

Anybody has an idea how to fill and color the gaps? Is there anything I can buy, like a paste?

Second question: Are we generally entitled for compensation if people brake something while viewing the flat? Next time it might be the stereo...
    The giraffe is not necessarily valuable in monetary terms, but we are very attached to her , and it is one of those items you just can not replace.

Smile

Funrniture dealers often hide scrathes and gaps with crayons. Hope that helps. ... As for compensation?? hmm I am not sure but if they had any manners they would offer some.

Can also use shoe polish to hide a scratch, but it really depends on the coloring of the wood.

You can try wood stain and putty (or colour matched putty). The problem with this is the texture and lack of a grain. If you have some spare time you could shave matchsticks into the right shape, glue it in, when set shave it down and sand, and then stain it.

Stain is available from B&Q, or if you search you should find it elsewhere easily enough.

Quote Originally Posted by mjk:
    As we are moving soon, lot's of property agents are currently bringing people to view our flat. Today, one of the prospective tenants bumped into our wooden giraffe and knocked it over. It lost one ear and both horns.

I managed to glue back all three body parts, but as it really knocked hard against the wall, there are some splinters missing, resulting in small but visible gaps. That the light color of the inner wood is now partial visible is actually most annoying (the giraffe is dark on the outside).

Anybody has an idea how to fill and color the gaps? Is there anything I can buy, like a paste?

Second question: Are we generally entitled for compensation if people brake something while viewing the flat? Next time it might be the stereo...
    The giraffe is not necessarily valuable in monetary terms, but we are very attached to her , and it is one of those items you just can not replace.
    You do not need to let anyone in to view the apartment unless it is clearly stated in your rental contract. The only compensation you are entitled to is from renters insurance.

Quote Originally Posted by lulumay:
    You do not need to let anyone in to view the apartment unless it is clearly stated in your rental contract. The only compensation you are entitled to is from renters insurance.

May not have a rental contract if they own.

I have checked, our contract says that we should let people come and view, as long as it is at a reasonale time and we are at home. Of course they have to make appointments beforehand.

Quote Originally Posted by mjk:
    I have checked, our contract says that we should let people come and view, as long as it is at a reasonale time and we are at home. Of course they have to make appointments beforehand.
    Well, you could say that you're busy the next time or make excuses so that they won't be able to come to view. Unless, you're nearing the end of the lease, then you may want to let people in.