long distance calls (France)

Closed Thread

long distance calls (France)

Hi everybody,

I know, it has already been asked but I dont have any internet connections and I dont want to buy a card in a seven eleven or somethg like this because it s very expensive.

do u know any places to go to call France or any overseas country?
    post office maybe?

thx in advance for any help
    Kevorg

Er, the cards you get in 7-11 are likely to be the cheapest you will find!
    For example, the Tawag Na card from IDT will cost you HK$0.33/min to French fixed lines and HK$1.89/min to mobiles.
    See http://www.idtasia.net/phonecards/ph...ry=Hong%20Kong

as long as u ve got broadband internet connection, i would strongly recommend you the www.skype.com
    which is a program allow to chat with other party with PC (free) or without PC - landline (charged)

Rates could be found from the link below:
    http://www.skype.com/products/skypeo...all_rates.html

France €0.017 per min (landline)
    France (Mobile) €0.180 per min

I reckon the rate which is quite reasonable compare with the rates which is provided by other HK telecos.

I ve been using skype more than half an yr and i am very happy with the voice quality which is so much betta than the stupid CTI1666 IDD service.

yeah, you're right! it's very cheap! thx
    I dont understand, last time I bought a phone card and called france. I paid 50 HK$ and it lasted maybe 4 minutes!!!

anyway, thx again for your help!

Kevorg

is it ok with a dial connection? (56kbps)...
    (yeah, I know I must be the only one in HK...)

One of the problems with many phonecards it that they have minimum charges per call, they start billing when you finish dialling (i.e. you pay even if no-one answers), and they charge in units of 1 minute.

IDT is one of the better ones - it doesn't do any of that. A $50 card at $0.33/min will last you 150 mins.

thx a lot for all those answers but I went to 7 eleven and K and I didnt find any card from IDT!
    is it normal or the guy was simply stupid?
    is there a special place to find those cards?
    thx

You probably need to look for the brand "Tawag Na" rather than IDT per se. Shops in Worldwide House sell them. As does the shop next to Chicken on the Run by the escalator, amongst many others.