Like Tree242Likes

What can I do to leave this hell-hole?

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 23 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 10 ... LastLast

This too funny. You're being extremely racist in your comments then generalise with your one-two word reasons for not going to a country.

Please stay in HK, my world will be a much better place without you.

Satay Sue and Natfixit like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Tsang:
    USA: bad - capitalism
    Europe: too expensive and bad economy
    Australia: racism
    China: CCP

I really want to go to Canada (or maybe somewhere that is not listed above).
    refer to answer no 2, I think Jimbo is right....

I bet you have collected your HKD6000??

Sebastien-F likes this.

Not sure he's old enough - you need to be 18 by 31st March 2012 at the latest.

Quote Originally Posted by PDLM:
    Not sure he's old enough - you need to be 18 by 31st March 2012 at the latest.
    That's why he's cranky! He can't get an IPad 3 with the government cash

I think the only conclusion to be drawn from this thread is that the whole world is a hell-hole.

man you need to chill out. calling HK a 'hell hole' is plain ignorance. I personally have lived and studied in 5 different countries. Each time is a bit similar in the sense that on the first 12 months, you discover and enjoy everything about that new place, and the more you stay, the more flaws you start to see (government, regulation, culture differences etc...) and you'll start to see that NOWHERE on earth there is that perfect country.
    HK is one of the best place i've ever seen.

I'll suggest you go spend some time in the townships of South Africa, in the 'favellas' of Brazil or in North Korea and then i'll listen to you talking about HK being a 'hell hole'

I do not have any solutions re the current situation in Hong Kong you have presented but I can give you advice on your degree option.

DO NOT I repeat DO NOT choose a Computer Science degree. I have a BSc in Computer Science from studying in the UK and a MSc in CS from HKU, trust me, here in Hong Kong they are useless when compared with other degrees like engineering or business/finance.

Why? you may ask, the reason is that technology is always changing and as IT professionals we are required to catch up with the very latest in technology. Mostly in our own time too. If you plan to work starting as a programmer you will have to face constant changes in programming languages, frameworks, etc. Many programming languages become redundant after 5-8 years. Also nowadays Hong Kong companies (including the Gov) like to keep their IT professionals under contract instead of as full-time employees. Most fresh graduates here are stay at low salaries for years.

In Hong Kong they pay IT staff shit all and IT staff are the first they let go. You watch the news I am sure you are aware of what HSBC is doing after the CNY (just like what they have done before).

If Australia, then the main plus side is that you can get on the Australian Immigration Skilled Occupation List for being an Analyst Programmer or System Analyst.

ojo and Natfixit like this.

That's nothing. imagine if you were from West-Germany or -soon to come- South-Korea.
    -> extra tax deduction for economic development of East-Germany or North-Korea for the next 30 years. And you are lucky if the investment yields any results.
    On top of that you pay for the economic development of following countries:
    Prior Year 1990: Spain, Portugal, Greece.
    Then on: Romania,Bulgaria,Poland, Hungary and all the rest.
    And now AGAIN Greece and soon AGAIN Portugal,Spain......
    THEY retire at the age of 50, YOU retire at the age of 67, if you last that long.

Also, at least you can communicate through Chinese characters whereas Latin has vanished.

Don't worry, be happy in HK!

Last edited by Morrison; 25-01-2012 at 06:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by huja:
    It's easy to find the faults about the place where you live. (This is not a criticism of you or anyone else that is unhappy where they are - I've found faults in every place I've lived). The challenge is to find the positives in your current location or to coming up with a better place to live. If you live some place long enough, you will grow to both love and hate it. Just try to keep the ledger tilted to the love side. If you can't, it's time to make a plan and move on.
    I actually can find some positives in my current location - convenient public transport, a wide range of social activities, low tax rate, good social order, very little corruption, low unemployment rate, etc. I just want to find a better place to develop my career.

Quote Originally Posted by Loz_2:
    Our of interest what sort of racism have you experience in Australia? I've been asked many times by overseas friends whether Australia is racist as they seem to have this perception based onwhat they see and read in the media. In my view, Australia is one of the most welcoming places in the world. I grew up in a small town in Australia so maybe its friendlier there were people smile and say g'day to strangers on the street etc. But I also found this in Sydney, Melbourne etc.
    Are the media exaggerating? If it is true, I will change my view. I think that Australia is a relatively easy place to migrate. I will try to place a job there and see if the people are nice. However, China and USA are my absolute nots. I hate the USA and the CCP very much. Apart from capitalism, which I don't like, there is also imperialism in USA, which I hate the most. The only thing I hate in China is the CCP. If it is dead, I will consider again.
    dear giant likes this.

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 23 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 10 ... LastLast