Mid Autumn Festival

Closed Thread

Mid Autumn Festival

I am a little bit confused about the holiday that is coming up. There is National Day on Friday, I know that. The geo expat calendar says that tomorrow is the day after Mid Autumn Day, which would mean that today is Mid Autumn Day. So when do people go around with the lanterns and eat moon cakes? Where is the best place to go see all the lanterns? Is it tonight or tomorrow night? Are stores going to be open on Thursday?

I am sure it seems like an obvious question, but I am a little confused about what the holiday entails!

In the Lair of the Village Idiot's Apprenctice

adding to the confusion

Watch the full moon a day early

Beijing, Sept. 28 (Xinhuanet) -- A full moon will shine in the night sky after 9:00pm on Tuesday, September 28th, the Mid-Autumn Day this year
    People can usually see a full moon on the 16th day of a lunar month, not the 15th, China Radio International reported Monday.

But this year, the full moon is arriving a day early and people can see it after 9:00pm. Astronomers say the full moon will not arrive early for another nine years

This month's full moon is September 28th at 1309[GMT] or 9.09 pm HK Time

The Full Moon of Tuesday, Sept. 28 also carries the title of the Harvest Moon for those living in the Northern Hemisphere. The Moon officially turns full when it reaches that spot in the sky opposite (180º) to the Sun.

The Harvest Moon Moon is the one that comes the closest to the September equinox, so this year it falls in September, although in one out of three years this title can be bestowed upon the October Full Moon. The 2004 version of the Harvest Moon comes relatively close to the equinox -- slightly less than five days after it -- although it can occur as early as Sept. 8 (as in 1976) or as late as Oct. 7 (as in 1987).

Why it is special

Many think the Harvest Moon remains in the night sky longer than any of the other Full Moons we see during the year, but that is not so.

What sets Tuesday’s Full Moon apart from the others is that farmers at the climax of the current harvest season can work late into the night by the Moon’s light. It rises about the time the Sun sets, but more importantly, at this time of year, instead of rising its normal average 50 minutes later each day, the Moon seems to rise at nearly the same time each night.

In actuality, for those living at mid-northern latitudes, the rising of the Moon comes, on average, roughly 25 minutes later each night. The night-to-night difference is greatest for more southerly locations, while the difference is less than the average at more northerly locations.

The reason for this seasonal circumstance is that the Moon appears to move along the ecliptic, and at this time of year when rising, the ecliptic makes its smallest angle with respect to the horizon for those living in the Northern Hemisphere.

In contrast, for those living in the Southern Hemisphere, the ecliptic at this time of year appears to stand almost perpendicular (at nearly a right angle) to the eastern horizon. As such, the difference for the time of moonrise exceeds the average of 50 minutes per night.

Quote Originally Posted by MJH:
    Are stores going to be open on Thursday?

I am sure it seems like an obvious question, but I am a little confused about what the holiday entails!
    The time HK is quiet, stores are closed, and streets are empty is perhaps the first three days of Chinese New Year, which is usually late January and early February of a calender year.

Hope this helps~

In the tradition of Mid Autumn Festival, people like to go outside (maybe park) and watch the full moon and enjoy the mooncake with your family as well as lit up the latern. However, this tradition seems to fade out on the new generation.

We usually have a re-union dinner (chinese called "tuen yuen fan") on mid autumn festival night which is all family members will be back to parent place and enjoy a fabulous dinner together.

If you would like to know more about Chinese customs...ask me