Fashion question

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Fashion question

Can someone explain to me this fashion of wearing t-shirts that have one or two lines of actual English followed by many lines of random English letters? Almost klike the designer died half-way through making the shirt and a monkey got to key in the rest. (And, despite the effort, did not produce Shakespeare.)

Saw one the other day that had a picture of a band and the name of the band was in English, along with "Live! In Concert!", but the concert venues were random fgroupimngs of letters.

Are these people being conned into thinking they are wearing authentic shirts or is this some sort of new fashion statement that I need to be aware of? Perhaps these are possible, cutting-edge fashion Christmas presents that I should be sending home to the US (in an "I am not a plastic bag" bags, of course).

Sleuth - Or they could be rejects which never got purchased? God knows the factories up north cant spell ...

Generic concert and band t-shirts .. great idea.. makes you look cool and makes you feel good that you've not become a billboard for some commercial entity.

They would fit in the factory reject pile, but the random groupings aren't even close to words so the factory didn'ty try very hard.
    Perhaps you're right and they are some sort of anti-statement shirt and I am not in the know.

Are you seeing these shirts on young, "hip" people? or all types? I have a feeling that they don't know what they are buying. Just yesterday on my subway ride home from work, I saw a woman in her 50's with a shirt on that said "Bone Me". I mean, does she really know what that means? I couldn't help but laugh to myself.

This guy at the gym was wearing a bright red shirt with "COCK" in huge white letters across the front. By the looks of the dude, I'm pretty sure he knew what it meant, if you know what I mean. We were laughing our asses off when we saw that.

Yesterday, in Harbour City, I saw a guy wearing the t-shirt that was apparently made to go with the "Cock" one. "Balls" on leaf green.

I wish I'd had my camera when I saw a middle-aged Chinese woman in immigration (apparently with her husband) wearing a T-shirt which had the normal red/white/blue Pepsi logo on the front, but with the brand name replaced with P E N I S in big bold letters.

Quote Originally Posted by JenniferL:
    Are you seeing these shirts on young, "hip" people? or all types? I have a feeling that they don't know what they are buying. Just yesterday on my subway ride home from work, I saw a woman in her 50's with a shirt on that said "Bone Me". I mean, does she really know what that means? I couldn't help but laugh to myself.
    Mostly on younger people.
    If they don't know what they are buying, does that make the simple fact that it might be in English a fashion? It's cool and hip because the words look like they might be English?
    And, whilst I see some shirts like you guys are talking about, I see more shirts that say something like:
    "ZUFS DAGUI JHADU HGDY!!"

I laugh at this, and yet I worry about the roles being reversed... In my lifetime I've bought a few red/black/white-ish Chinesey things with Chinese characters and assumed at most it said 'Double Happiness' or 'Luck' or whatever, I would never know...

I'd like to learn Cantonese if for no other reason than I wouldn't hesitate to ask these people if they understood the statements on their garments, would be interesting...

Quote Originally Posted by Beth Danae:
    I laugh at this, and yet I worry about the roles being reversed... In my lifetime I've bought a few red/black/white-ish Chinesey things with Chinese characters and assumed at most it said 'Double Happiness' or 'Luck' or whatever, I would never know...
    I have one of those shirts. Bought it at the Beijing Friendship store a few years back. Something about a dragon, supposedly.
    Good luck with the Canto! We weren't that brave and are going with Mandarin

Mandarin here too. After 1 year just moved to 2nd teacher who told me yesterday 'Nide Putonghua shi mama-huhu.' To which I thought finally! After being told my feeble non-studying ways were brilliant I needed a kick in the arse to get me back on track...

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast