Like Tree13Likes

MTR/BUS customer service or lackthereof

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

MTR/BUS customer service or lackthereof

Where do you guys get help on public transportation? If my recent experiences are anything to go by, the answer is nowhere.

When I asked MTR service desk on the Kowloon side, they'd direct me to check with the Island side for "further help" since the address in question is on the Island. Then I was directed by the Island side to check with "bus drivers". Only if I knew the bus number! Apparently MTR customer service is not versed in bus routes, etc.

Fair enough. At the city bus customer service booth, the first gentleman was very dismissive, telling me no buses go to the address. Only upon my insistence, another person came by and gave me a bus number that turned out to be incorrect. [At that time I didn't know the official website that PDLM, and others posted on this forum. ]

Of course the address I asked is off the beaten path of tourist attractions, but it seems their customer service desk is not much of help when we need it.

dear giant likes this.

I just buy an A-Z street atlas of HK every year, and it tells me all the bus routes. Very simple.

Mat likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by bookblogger:
    I just buy an A-Z street atlas of HK every year, and it tells me all the bus routes. Very simple.
    Thanks - I'll just add that to my survival kit in this so-called "world class city"!
    dear giant likes this.

Hong Kong eTransport

Why would you not start with the internet these days?
    Last edited by MovingIn07; 15-02-2012 at 08:58 PM.
    Rob2020 likes this.

Where were you going?

Quote Originally Posted by MovingIn07:
    Hong Kong eTransport

Well, people do turn to the internet and ask strangers on forums, when instead you could just buy a little map book and keep it in your bag.

Quote Originally Posted by MovingIn07:
    Hong Kong eTransport

Well because to be quite honest that site is total crap. I've tried several time to look for routes on it and it has failed every time. So I use the local guides, google maps, etc which provide bus numbers and routes. Now if someone has a magic formula for that site other that starting point and destination please feel free to share.
    HowardCoombs likes this.

I'm surprised by this thread. I've always felt HK is the easiest place to locate addresses and figure out the transportation! Ofcourse sometimes you need to research.. Cant expect anyone..the mtr or the bus companies to direct you to a specific address..That said each MTR station's customer service does provide a map of that area and the staff has always been happy to point out the address and advice which exit to take.

Yes HK is a world class city in this regard if not for anything else as long as you dont expect to be spoon fed.

Last edited by PSMaverick; 16-02-2012 at 10:16 AM.
    Mat and bookblogger like this.

online of course. the kmb website is great for finding bus routes.
    The Kowloon Motor Bus Co. (1933) Ltd 九龍巴士(ä¸€ä¹ä¸‰ä¸ )

mtr website also has a very good interactive map.

can't see where the problem is myself....

When you are new here to HK and try to search how to get to places online it is not easy. The bus sites are impossible when you don't have sufficient information on how to do this. Now I can pretty much find a way to get where ever as I have a better idea of how the whole things work - MTR, bus routes, Mini buses and asking on Geoexpat as I have done.

HK for a new person as I recall from not long ago is not easy to navigate especially as it is a city say unlike New York where you can quickly figure out the difference between streets and avenues as it street numbers starts from Lower Manhattan and work their way uptown and beyond. The streets in HK aren't exactly on a grid system.

My advice to the OP to answer the question is to use this site when asking how to get to some not easy to get to place in HK. I should have done this more when I got here and ended a lot of Saturday morning struggles looking for bus routes.

Oh, a tourist story. I had a coffee meeting in Langham Place and it was about 1 pm when I have overheard the Caucasian wife say to the husband who was busy studying maps and looking confused "When do you think we'll be ready to go...? You've been studying that map all morning!" It reminded me of me. I think we forget how in a place like Mong Kok it can be so confusing.

Last edited by Football16; 16-02-2012 at 10:32 AM.
    Obaing2011 likes this.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast