cellphones in HK

Closed Thread

cellphones in HK

I'm wondering what the selection of cellphones are like in HK? Compared to North America, I keep hearing HK has more newer styles. What are the prices like in general? Are they expensive buying the phones by itself?

The selection is huge - there are well over 300 models officially on sale at any one time, and various "grey" imports. The phones are generally somewhat more advanced in their features than many phones made for the US market which is well behind the rest of the world in fancy phones.

Remember that the (main) system in HK and the rest of the world (except Japan) is GSM so for any phone to be compatible with your USA network you need first to be on a GSM operator in the US (traditionally the US used different standards, but there are now a number of GSM operators), and secondly you would need a "Tri-band" phone to cope with the fact that the GSM networks in the US and the rest of the worl operate in different frequency bands.

Tribands are still a minority of GSM phones sold, but there will still be tens of models to choose from here. Prices for a triband phone (buying it standalone rather than in a package with a service commitment to an operator) start from around HK$1500 (US$190) I believe. (e.g. this one: http://www.my-onetouch.com/worldwide.../phones/ot756/ ) You can get cheaper deals by locking yourself into an operator for an extended period, but you may not want to do that since we have full number portability here which makes it easy to move to a different operator (there are 6 main ones) if a better deal comes up.

If you really do want to buy a newer phone, I'd recommend you browse through http://www.expansys-usa.com/ . they have a fairly updated range of phones, which are sourced through their network of overseas offices.

Back in Toronto now - after 10 1/2 years in HK

Artmosphere, are you comparing with Canada?

Yes I'm comparing it to Canada particulary in Toronto. Here's the situation maybe you guys can shed some light. Right now I have an old Nokia 3590 and I'm with Rogers which is on the GSM network. I'm pretty sure my phone is only a dual band.

What I like to do is pick up a new tri-band phone in HK, but I want to keep my current number. Someone told me I need to have the phone unlock/decode when I purchase it there in HK....then use my SIM card on Nokia and switch it into the new phone. Is that right?

Thanks for the links, guys. I'll will look into it some more. I heard the prices are NOT necessarily cheaper in HK, although it may have newer styles. I prefer a flip-phone...any recommendations? But the Sony k700 also caught my attention...

Back in Toronto now - after 10 1/2 years in HK

Sorry, art, I was just testing an old read-between-the-lines theory of mine - reference to "North America(n) is a dead giveaway!

Almost all cellphones sold in HK, not as part of a plan, tend to be unlocked and if it's GSM triband you can use it with Fido prepaid SIM card in Canada without further ado (I'm quite sure Rogers will be fine as well - better ask them). Even those with a HK plan are likely unlocked - but those won't interest you.

It's the ones sold in Canada which tend to be locked and you need to check carefully with the salesperson (only 50-50 they'll know what you're talking about). Only checked casually, but generally the same model seemed quite a bit more expensive in Canada (not counting plans - which I didn't bother digging into at all), even before "guest-pest" (GST/PST).