For All the Americans out there

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Nice one Max- forgot about that!

I like this article.

Max - Slow day today !
    Jayinhongkong - at last somebody gets it ! Not about taking the piss.
    Lammerite - old age catches up with us sooner or later. Reactions the first thing to go !
    Techoc - still young and believes the hype.

stupidity like this and the protectionist/litigious nature of the us today tops the reason hubs and i asked to move. The next question is, for how long will we be in HK, and where is next. wonder what the air quality does to baby lungs... that's the nurse in me...but overall we are simply glad to be out of the US...

As perfectly put by an irishman:
    "America is a very, very useful construct for us to ventilate our own inadequacies and frustrations with ourselves"

face it. proves that good ol US of A still matters enough to be criticized by people from countries the size of connecticut...

'tis rather amusing...there there...here's a pat on the head for you....

psychology of hypocritical anti-american bashing deconstructed below:
    http://www.nytimes.com/2007/08/26/ar...xprod=facebook

go ahead, bash away!

Don't get me wrong, there's a lot I love about America, but I also like knowing my mom won't get dragged away and thrown in a dirty, pissy cell in her 70's for being bad at lawn maintenance. My parents and siblings have Green Cards, but have chosen NOT to live in the US now that they have 'em.

I also like not being illegally searched by cops based on my appearance and the places I go. Had enough of that bs in NY.

Last edited by jayinhongkong; 20-09-2007 at 12:42 PM.

jay, u know me, i completely agree with u there. i was just sending a friendly shoutout reminder to "those people", lol...

Quote Originally Posted by jayinhongkong:
    Don't get me wrong, there's a lot I love about America, but I also like knowing my mom won't get dragged away and thrown in a dirty, pissy cell in her 70's for being bad at lawn maintenance. My parents and siblings have Green Cards, but have chosen NOT to live in the US now that they have 'em.

I also like not being illegally searched by cops based on my appearance and the places I go. Had enough of that bs in NY.

interesting that my bf and i have faced more direct racism and discrimination since being in HK than ever faced in the US...

I guess we live differently and have different experiences. The discrimination I've seen in the US was far more direct than anything I've ever seen in HK. I've never had my life threatened by HK cops.

Last edited by jayinhongkong; 20-09-2007 at 12:55 PM.

Seems that every other country in the world likes to blame America for their or the world's problems. As Ghandi once said, "You must be the change you want to see in the world." You all are actually living in China you know. As you help the HK economy grow stronger, you make Beijing and its atrocious track record of human rights and civil liberties stronger. Democracy in HK is just a pipe dream that is still 5-8 years away at the least.

Stories like the one you cited happen every day in China, you just don't hear about it on the news because the Beijing filtering machine blocks anything that is anti-China. Or pro Taiwan independence, or anything else it doesn't agree with. Talk about strong-willed people. The Taiwanese constantly live in fear with the threat of China crossing the straight and invading them looming over their heads. And who will they turn to for military backup? America of course, because we are the only country with the balls to stand up to China when it comes to matters like that, or support an Israel that is battered from all sides by people that hate Jews. How would you like it if Iran said they are aiming missiles at you and are about to wipe you off the map. Again America comes to the aid of another thriving democracy. Enough said.

Last edited by audiodesign; 20-09-2007 at 01:00 PM.

True freedom would be being allowed to live in a house with a brown lawn and no running water without being dragged away in handcuffs. Maintaining lawns wastes an enormous amount of water.
    US laws/home owner's associations rules on land have gone way off the deep end. When we look for houses in the US, we look for home's without busy-body rules. Home owner's associations can govern everything from your mail box and fence to the shed in the back corner of your lot.
    Frankly, in this regard, freedom is dying in the USA.
    You see this all too frequently in the US. First someone decided to put a nuclear missile silo in their backyard (to establish neighborhood nuclear superiority). The home owners/local government decide this is bad and then legislate against it. Problem is, once you decide you can tell someone what they can or can't have on their private land you open a large door. First no missiles, then no cars on the lawn, then no sheds that don't match the neighborhood decor, then everyone is putting in (and this is not a lie) $900 mailboxes. Where does it end? No brown lawns? Give me a break. Stop wasting water on grass which, by the way, is a weed and if you found it in your garden you'd pull it out and kill it.
    On the more positive side, this lady will be granted due process, in addition to the public uproar over mistreatment. In many places around the globe, thelady just would have disappeared forever and the land given to someone with connections who could afford to water it.
    So, the founders probably didn't fight for the right of the neighborhood to dictate (the tyranny of the majority from the Federalist papers), but they did fight for the due-process and freedom of protest.