For All the Americans out there

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thanks to the Electoral College system, democracy is still only theoretical in the US too. No place is perfect by any means.

Quote Originally Posted by audiodesign:
    Democracy in HK is just a pipe dream that is still 5-8 years away at the least.
    That's being rather optimistic. I would have stopped after "pipe dream".

Quote Originally Posted by Sleuth:
    US laws/home owner's associations rules on land have gone way off the deep end. When we look for houses in the US, we look for home's without busy-body rules. Home owner's associations can govern everything from your mail box and fence to the shed in the back corner of your lot.
    Frankly, in this regard, freedom is dying in the USA.
    You see this all too frequently in the US. First someone decided to put a nuclear missile silo in their backyard (to establish neighborhood nuclear superiority). The home owners/local government decide this is bad and then legislate against it. Problem is, once you decide you can tell someone what they can or can't have on their private land you open a large door. First no missiles, then no cars on the lawn, then no sheds that don't match the neighborhood decor, then everyone is putting in (and this is not a lie) $900 mailboxes. Where does it end? No brown lawns? Give me a break. Stop wasting water on grass which, by the way, is a weed and if you found it in your garden you'd pull it out and kill it.
    On the more positive side, this lady will be granted due process, in addition to the public uproar over mistreatment. In many places around the globe, thelady just would have disappeared forever and the land given to someone with connections who could afford to water it.
    So, the founders probably didn't fight for the right of the neighborhood to dictate (the tyranny of the majority from the Federalist papers), but they did fight for the due-process and freedom of protest.
    Good post. The freedom the American media enjoys allows people to see what's going on and (try to) effect change. I would hate to be dragged away for the undesirable wildflowers that are growing in the plant pots on our balcony. They attract some amazing butterflies and birds.

Quote Originally Posted by jayinhongkong:
    Thanks to the Electoral College system, democracy is still only theoretical in the US too. No place is perfect by any means.
    Correct. The Founders did not trust the masses.
    No direct election of the pres and senators picked by state legislatures. Plus that whole women-minorities-non landowners not voting thing.
    Just like Athens way back when.
    The US has improved on trusting the masses, but not on private property laws.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Bing:
    interesting that my bf and i have faced more direct racism and discrimination since being in HK than ever faced in the US...
    I take it your not a coloured couple then? I think some African Americans might have issue with the comment.

FYI
    What you see as discrimination here, may be just, on one hand - We are not a colony any more. Don't try to impose anything on us.
    On the other - A young " country ", with lots of "power" trying to find its level with others of hugely differing cultures. Ring a bell?

I recommend the blog by srvblooze to illustrate my point. No one is perfect.

Quote Originally Posted by Boris:
    I take it your not a coloured couple then? I think some African Americans might have issue with the comment.

FYI
    What you see as discrimination here, may be just, on one hand - We are not a colony any more. Don't try to impose anything on us.
    On the other - A young " country ", with lots of "power" trying to find its level with others of hugely differing cultures. Ring a bell?

I recommend the blog by srvblooze to illustrate my point. No one is perfect.

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/s...oryId=14394895

http://www.cnn.com/2007/US/law/09/04/bell.jena.six/

Somehow I don't think you'll have to worry about discrimination of the type in the two cases above while you're in HK. The HK Legal system is pretty fair. I've seen the disparity between sentencing for White, Hispanic and Black criminals first hand. Real fair.
    Last edited by jayinhongkong; 20-09-2007 at 01:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Bing:
    psychology of hypocritical anti-american bashing deconstructed below:
    http://www.nytimes.com/2007/08/26/ar...xprod=facebook

go ahead, bash away!
    Quote from your article
    "We’re the 800-pound gorilla in their lives."

MMMmmm. An endangered species needing international care and attention to save it.

However to paraphrase George Orwell ( Animal Farm ) "All Gorrillas are created equal but some are more equal than others."
    We all wait in anticipation for the day when the good guys take back the true spirit that has been the US from the 800lb'ers that are trying to scoop up all the bananas for themselves.

Quote Originally Posted by jayinhongkong:
    Yes. I have seen all the commotion about Jena. A good test it seems for young Mr Obama to get " down with the hood ". Watching this with much interest from that perspective, as are others, I suspect.

Quote Originally Posted by PaulyJ:
    let the flaming begin
    How about: This thread was interesting when it came up 8 months ago.

For all those that say that there is not racism in HK. Try asking the DH's from the Philippines and Indonesia, they might tell you a very different story than the individuals on this board.