Like Tree41Likes

courier wants surcharge

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Their reply by e-mail

Here is the deal, Mr XXX,for Yuen Long residential area we have to charge you 30HKD surcharge for each package according to our company policy.The freight and surcharge can be paid by shipper ,and can be paid by receiver as well,once the shipper only paid the transportation fee for you,then it will cost you surcharge in HK when deliver. As normal, it has to be showed in the AWB copy, you can check the remark blank of the copy, if you need the clear copy, we can email to you. Many thanks.

Wendy Chan
    Customer Service

Hong Kong Tel: (852) 2730 0273 Fax: (852) 2679 8136

I checked the remarks on the right bottom of the form and saw that a code is written with the Chinese word "speed". However nowhere is 30 dollars mentioned. It will be fun when the next parcel arrives this week.

dear giant likes this.

DM, you may already be sick of dealing with this, but it would be awesome if you could forward the HK customer service rep's email to the US office and ask whether they were aware of the surcharges ... and then update this thread with their reaction.

They may not be aware of the surcharge practice and may not look kindly upon it as it damages their brand image to have couriers shake people down for pocket money when delivering their packages.

The "Fear of locals-ripping-us-off" is another one of the diseases us expats pick up here, along with Irritable Gwailo Syndrome and Fear of MSG.

Just ask for a clear receipt next time. People are honest here.

Natfixit likes this.

Funny how they class Yuen Long as remote yet their own sorting facility for deliveries from China is in one of the more remote parts of the same town.

dear giant likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by chimo:
    The "Fear of locals-ripping-us-off" is another one of the diseases us expats pick up here, along with Irritable Gwailo Syndrome and Fear of MSG.

Just ask for a clear receipt next time. People are honest here.
    Some people are honest here and some are not. Having a courier pop around with a package for which shipping charges have already been paid and then demand a bit of cash on top of that -- with or without a receipt but especially without one -- is not kosher.

Quote Originally Posted by dear giant:
    Some people are honest here and some are not. Having a courier pop around with a package for which shipping charges have already been paid and then demand a bit of cash on top of that -- with or without a receipt but especially without one -- is not kosher.
    Found out that ppl are honest when found out!

Next the delivery guy or gal tried getting a surcharge out of you, tell them that you were told that it was already included in the price by the salesperson. See what retraction yo u get then.

And don't forget to cross your arms across your chest, posture straight when you say it.
    dear giant and Drunken Master like this.

S.F. Express delivered a package to me in DB and charged me HKD 20 or 30 being in what they call a remote part of town. 25 minutes from the airport...

F.A.O. bryant.english:

It's actually 22 minutes.

dear giant and Fiona in HKG like this.

Quote Originally Posted by dear giant:
    DM, you may already be sick of dealing with this, but it would be awesome if you could forward the HK customer service rep's email to the US office and ask whether they were aware of the surcharges ... and then update this thread with their reaction.

They may not be aware of the surcharge practice and may not look kindly upon it as it damages their brand image to have couriers shake people down for pocket money when delivering their packages.
    I sent another e-mail to Ms Chan asking for more details.

"Dear Ms Chan,

Thank you for the clarification. Please find attached the copy of my receipt. Is this the AWB copy you mentioned? I am still a little confused. Can you answer the following questions?

1. how can I see from this copy that the sender only paid the freight and NOT the surcharge? At number 10 (payment of charges) it is indicated that the shipper is the party who paid all the charges.

2. how can I see from this copy that the amount of the surcharge is 30 HKD?

3. the remarks at the bottom right of the copy says in Chinese: speed item 1 piece, CA22200HK3122
    How can the receiver see from this information that he/she has to pay a surcharge of 30 HKD?

Thank you,"
    Satay Sue and dear giant like this.

Love it! Looking forward to the next installment of this saga

Have similar experiences with SF, first time i had to pay $67? and the second time $30. when i asked what am i paying for since i already paid for shipping costs. dude told me that i could pick the parcel up myself at their yuenlong centre and save money. else its 30dollars a ride. i was fuming.

most taobao-ers use SF, but some use other couriers, i picked up parcels in tsuenwan and yautong even...
    when buying from taobao nowadays i make sure which courier they use and how to deal with surcharges, most diamond status holders give me either a discount in advance or reimbursement.

Last edited by reprazent; 08-03-2012 at 08:13 AM.
    dear giant likes this.