View Poll Results: At what age would (did) you let your kid(s) travel on the MTR on their own?

Voters
42. You may not vote on this poll
  • 8 or younger

4 9.52%

4 9.52%

12 28.57%

5 11.90%

8 19.05%

4 9.52%

3 7.14%
  • 15 or older

2 4.76%
Like Tree94Likes

At what age wouldyou let your kid(s) travel on the MTR on their own

Closed Thread
Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Mat:
    if son:
    - Daddy will buy him a Nissan Fairlady
    - Sonny can get some very hot Korean/Japanese twins
    Oh please, for spoiled kids these days, not even a fairlady will cut it . More like the latest Porsche 911 Carrera S or better yet, an Aston Martin DBS or Ferrari Italia 458. Believe me, I've seen astons in HK with the "P" plate, at Chinese U specifically.

For OP, you forgot to ask which MTR line and at what time you will allow your kids. Generally, the MTR is relatively safe (compared to similiar metro systems around the world), but there are some differences in terms of crime depending on the line, stations and time you take the MTR.
    Last edited by Watercooler; 16-03-2012 at 03:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by bryant.english:
    Treat a 15 year old like a 9 year old = a 23 year old who acts like a 5 year old, got it So, about the MTR....
    That not allowing your 14 years old teenager to ride the MTR herself is tantamount to treating him like a 9y old.

Quote Originally Posted by ScotchDrinker:
    I was drawing a comparison between my experience / wanderlust and your statement:

"... being out and about independently from a young age... it makes you more aware of your surroundings and maybe it is what made me feel so comfortable travelling around Asia alone when I was a bit older."
    Gotcha.

Wanderlust... that is a word I definitely intend to use more often.

PS give me my gun back!
    Last edited by justjoe86; 16-03-2012 at 03:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by er2:
    That not allowing your 14 years old teenager to ride the MTR herself is tantamount to treating him like a 9y old.
    Seems as though this child has more pressing issues to deal with than age.

Quote Originally Posted by Watercooler:
    For OP, you forgot to ask which MTR line and at what time you will allow your kids. There are some differences in terms of crime depending on the line, stations and time you take the MTR.
    Probably not best to start with Admiralty on a Friday at 6:30PM

I seem to remember a soft start with just a couple stops and a familiar face waiting on the destination platform in the exact right place. Which after a few days turned into 'I'm going to ..... with ........ on the MTR , OK'
    Last edited by East_coast; 16-03-2012 at 07:10 PM.

Depends on the child (and the parents ...)!
    The now adult triplet kids of friends is a case in point: girl was stereotypically ditzy blonde who still needed to be with someone in order to get out at the correct exit when she was 11; one boy had all his ducks in a row by the time he could climb the steps unaided (including being able to differentiate between people in "real" uniforms and other strangers) - could safely be sent off to his music lessons alone - a bus & a train ride - by the time he was 8; other boy with absent-minded professor gene who knew all the bus routes, station layouts and ferry timetables, but to this day - in his late 20s - still occasionally finds himself on the Mui Wo ferry or 5X to North Point when he set out for Shatin. At least in these days of mobile phones his wife can find out where he is!

Quote Originally Posted by er2:
    I think you missed my point - I wouldn't allow the situation to happen where my kids have to ride the MTR. My kids are either driven to school or they go in a taxi. This isn't a fear thing, this is me wanting to provide a comfortable environment for my kids. I hate the MTR experience with a passion so why would I put my kids through it?
    dear giant likes this.

I think you missed my point - I wouldn't allow the situation to happen where my kids have to ride the MTR. My kids are either driven to school or they go in a taxi. This isn't a fear thing, this is me wanting to provide a comfortable environment for my kids. I hate the MTR experience with a passion so why would I put my kids through it?
    Because kids enjoy trying out new things ?
    Because their friends are doing it and they want to be the same as them ?
    Because they want to feel independent and not like a kid ?

My dad used to drive me everywhere, I WANTED to take the bus, the idea was exciting and it is good for a person to experience different things.
    Stoob, dear giant, 100LL and 3 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by SiuMaiTaiTai:
    Because kids enjoy trying out new things ?
    Because their friends are doing it and they want to be the same as them ?
    Because they want to feel independent and not like a kid ?

My dad used to drive me everywhere, I WANTED to take the bus, the idea was exciting and it is good for a person to experience different things.
    1.) I try my best to provide my children with new opportunities to have experiences that are even more exciting than catching the bus.
    2.) You already know that is not a good reason for kids to do many things.
    3.) They'd still feel like kids....just poor.

My Grandad used to drive us around when he was in his 90s......I also WANTED to catch the bus
    dear giant likes this.

Bryant Bryan Bryant, you are getting really Bourgeois. Careful you will raise some sissies!!!!!!
    chingleutsch and MovingIn07 like this.

Closed Thread
Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast