Like Tree17Likes

Is Tai Po the end of the universe?

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Is Tai Po the end of the universe?

I may out of sheer coincide end up spending quite a lot if time in Tai Po in the next two years, and am finding this slightly disconcerting as my only previous experience with this cosmopolitan area ended up in a twisted ankle and sore disappointment . What is there to see and do in TaiPo? And how difficult is it to get there, say from Lantau (by bus, not mtr)?

dear giant likes this.

Taipo is a large district, so you'll have to be more specific ... there are built- up "typical" HK streetscapes with buses running every which way at all hours, right through to some villages which can only be reached on foot after a steep climb. There is certainly at least one bus route running through Tung Chung to somewhere in urban Taipo, but I've not had occasion to find the details.

E41 maybe, from the airport to Tai Po?

I find Tai Po the most liveable town in the NT. It has an old town centre to it, a good market, pedestrianised areas, heritage buildings on the hill, and lots of cycle/running paths along the riverbanks. Plus, a few friendly bars and a curry house, not too bad.

Tai Po is nice !!
    The E41 is a direct service onto Lantau from Tai Po. Every 20 minutes I think. Quick, comfortable and cheap.

Of the 7.5 yrs I have lived in HK, I have lived 4 of them in Tai Po ( Ting Kok and Lai Chi Shan ) and it has the advantage of living in whatever style floats your boat. It has a choice of modern amenities or traditional and as laid back as you need by basically being in another world.

Prices on everyday stuff are not inflated by high retail rents. There are some really high quality outlets or some real clothes bargains in the off street sample shops. The BBQ, the sea, the hills, the cycle tracks, the mossies! We love it so much we bought a house here and will bring our daughter up in this community.

I travel to Central (LKF) most days and when the new Tai Wai line opens our connection at Tai Po will go straight through to Admirality. Can't wait!

shenwen, emmie, FerrisC and 1 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Boris:
    Tai Po is nice !!
    The E41 is a direct service onto Lantau from Tai Po. Every 20 minutes I think. Quick, comfortable and cheap.

Of the 7.5 yrs I have lived in HK, I have lived 4 of them in Tai Po ( Ting Kok and Lai Chi Shan ) and it has the advantage of living in whatever style floats your boat. It has a choice of modern amenities or traditional and as laid back as you need by basically being in another world.

Prices on everyday stuff are not inflated by high retail rents. There are some really high quality outlets or some real clothes bargains in the off street sample shops. The BBQ, the sea, the hills, the cycle tracks, the mossies! We love it so much we bought a house here and will bring our daughter up in this community.

I travel to Central (LKF) most days and when the new Tai Wai line opens our connection at Tai Po will go straight through to Admirality. Can't wait!
    HI Boris
    What is your daily commute time?
    I am interested in Tai Po and have an 8.30am start time.
    Much appreciated

Quote Originally Posted by bookblogger:
    E41 maybe, from the airport to Tai Po?

I find Tai Po the most liveable town in the NT.
    I like Luen Wo Hui (Fanling) better.

Having said that, if you like to eat, there are quite a few nice small local delicacies available near Taipo Market and Tai Po Centre.

If I am not mistaken, Plover Cove and Pat Sin Leng Country Parks are both located within the Tai Po District. Those are good places for a nice weekend hike and somewhat less crowded than Sai Kung (except for the Tai Mei Tuk bbq area). Go along Ting Kok Road until it becomes Bride's Pool Road. Very nice scenery (for HK standard) along that route. Bride's Pool Waterfall is one of my favorite area. If you know how to dive or snorkel, Crooked Harbour and Double Haven at Pat Sin Leng also has some coral communities to see, although the winter water temperature can get rather cool.

emmie likes this.

I would propose that TaiPo is the center of the universe! (As far as NT town/areas go)

As Boris said there is something for everyone's tastes and lifestyle and not quite the artificial feel that Shatin has.

hope you arent holding your breathe....the shatin central link opens in 2020.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast