Like Tree31Likes

Landlord not responsible for plumbing?

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Landlord not responsible for plumbing?

Issue: landlord is claiming that shower drainage clogging or any plumbing problems are due to 'misuse', thus not their responsibility.

I don't believe this is the case as plumbing is part and parcel of maintenance of apartments in the US. Is HK special? Your experience is greatly appreciated.

dear giant likes this.

surely you can unclog it yourself with minimal skills.

Welcome to Hong Kong.

What does the fine print in your lease say the landlord is responsible for?

Hong Kong is not the US, different laws here.

Enjoy your stay.

dear giant likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by dumbdonkey:
    surely you can unclog it yourself with minimal skills.
    Sure, plunger is well in my tool box. Surely any self-respecting HK landlords cannot stoop so low as to provide anything beyond that.

I'm more curious in general as so many people seem to enjoy HK living. If minimum consumer protection isn't there, why put up with it? Or in HK speak, this is what we expect from this 'world class city'?! Anyone bulls out there?
    dear giant likes this.

It's because our careers and the money we are making is so much better than the US (or pick your country) OR it's our home

dear giant likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by emx:
    Welcome to Hong Kong.

What does the fine print in your lease say the landlord is responsible for?

Hong Kong is not the US, different laws here.

Enjoy your stay.
    Sure that is the case. But I wonder if maintenance of the rental property is a legal responsibility of owners in HK? I've been searching for pointers...

or landlords can get away with anything? Surley not every breakdown can be fixed by a plunger, how do you cope?

Quote Originally Posted by cookie09:
    It's because our careers and the money we are making is so much better than the US (or pick your country) OR it's our home
    Make sense. So you make a trade off between money and quality of life?

(sorry, blame the coffee for quoting everybody.)

So its the landlords fault you don't pick up the hairs that get caught in the plughole?

Quote Originally Posted by jimbo:
    So its the landlords fault you don't pick up the hairs that get caught in the plughole?
    Nope, you don't assume that I have enough self-respect to clean up after shower? Unlike the self-involved 'world class' property owners in this glorious city.

Even the building staff said the debris may have built up over time.
    dear giant likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Obaing2011:
    Sure that is the case. But I wonder if maintenance of the rental property is a legal responsibility of owners in HK? I've been searching for pointers...

or landlords can get away with anything? Surley not every breakdown can be fixed by a plunger, how do you cope?
    Again, did you actually read the lease agreement that you signed?

Landlords can put whatever they want into a contract, it is up to YOU to read it and agree to every clause and bit of fine print before signing it.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast