Like Tree15Likes

Wet market eggs safe?

Closed Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Quote Originally Posted by Football16:
    Yes, cheap eggs from Holland seem a bit of a stretch but is it due to size maybe?
    In PnS, usually the cheapest (or one of the cheapest) set of eggs is USA eggs. Its not that much of a stretch to find cheap eggs from any other major egg producing country. Holland produces a lot of Chickens as well as eggs for export...

The conclusion is never buy US eggs from wet market then.

Quote Originally Posted by penguinsix:
    Eggs in the US are washed at the farm (by law) which has the effect of removing the outer bloom, or the 'cuticle'. The cuticle protects the egg from bacteria entering through pores in the shell. This washing is designed to remove the bacteria that can be present during the laying process or from sitting in the nest before collection, but also has the result of making the egg shells more porus and subject to bacterial infection during shipping and storage. Therefore, with US eggs, it is recommended that they stay refridgerated from the farm all the way to the time you cook them in an effort to minimize bacterial growth.

Eggs from other nations may not have had the cuticle removed and thus might have more natural protection against bacteria, though may still have bacteria present on the shell from the laying and storage process (how clean is a chicken nest?). You can leave these unrefridgerated, but I have seen some nations have egg instructions saying something like "keeps 4 weeks unrefridgerated or 8 weeks refridgerated" or numbers to that effect). With the heat, humidity, and general hygenie of some wet markets, I would probably pick my eggs carefully too.

I guess it poses another question: do you wash your eggs before cracking them open?

UPDATE: This is an interesting answer to that question, should eggs be washed. There are risks to washing and risks to not washing.

http://www.cfs.gov.hk/english/multim...fsf_29_01.html

I should note that while some countries do not "require" eggs to be refridgerated, many of them do actually "recommend" it. In several of the documents on the HK Food Safety site and the World Health Organization they recommend food processors / restaurants keep eggs at temperatures under 10c, though they are silent as to individual buyers. Also interesting to note that in a study a few years ago about 1/3 of the salmonella cases in Hong Kong came from eggs.

Quote Originally Posted by forgetmenot:
    The conclusion is never buy US eggs from wet market then.
    I cant recall ever seeing USA eggs in the wetmarket. I *always* see USA eggs in the supermarket, in the refrigerated section.

Quote Originally Posted by HowardCoombs:
    I cant recall ever seeing USA eggs in the wetmarket. I *always* see USA eggs in the supermarket, in the refrigerated section.
    Being Easter and all you should be careful of the silver foil eggs in the supermarket. They are fake you know.....
    MovingIn07 likes this.

Closed Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4