Love Ruttonjee A&E

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

2nd floor (although it's billed as 3rd) in Jordan walkup

Love Ruttonjee A&E

A note to recommend Ruttonjee hospital in Wanchai for it's A&E/casualty. After a minor accident on Saturday afternoon, I went there, was triaged as "non-urgent" and was seen around an hour.. and all sewn up in two hours. $100 entry fee is all.
    A similar experience in the UK took around 9 hours. And I've heard stories that Queen Mary (near HKU) is also pretty slow.
    I don't think even a private hospital (prob around $1000) would have sorted me out so quick - hats off to Ruttonjee!
    And a beautiful job too. The doc managed to get the stiches in a straight line, unlike the eejit in Croydon General (UK) who left me looking like a Russian prison tattoo victim several years back...

Ruttonjee is the hospital I go to most often. Definitely great service. I find evenings tend to be significantly quieter, and hence, you move through the queue faster.

I'm curious here. How many times a year do people have cause to go to a hospital? It sounds like it's something many people do multiple times a year which I am really struggling to understand.

Am I some sort of freak if I haven't been to a hospital for over 12 years (and only twice in the last 35 years, both for sports injuries)? And not to a doctor (excluding vaccinations) for over 20 years.

What sort of things happen to people that cause them to go so often?

In my case: smoking-related bronchitis (I've since quit smoking) and a biking accident. I also took my helper to the hospital when she developed a serious rash from liquid detergent, but kept using it.

jgl

I had a similar experience to the OP. Non-critical sports injury, waited and hour and was out in two hours. 7 stitches, neatly done.

PDLM: I think the only people who see an A&E on a frequent basis are either very old (big chunk of the population) or have a serious chronic condition (small chunk of the popluation). I used to be in and out as a kid for asthma.

So it's pretty unusual for most people to go to hospitals. Now, the not seeing a doctor thing for 20 years sounds a bit unusual though. Let's just assume you've got a freakishly good constitution

my experience in ruttonjee was similar. this was back in 2002. i went in for a migraine that had lasted for over a week. everyone was fantastic, except the triage nurse!

my bp was so high, their machine couldn't read it! the orderly asked if she should give me a wheelchair. the triage nurse yelled at her that i was obviously ok to walk! (i couldn't understand all this, but my hubby translated it all to me later).

as it turned out, AFTER they gave me a shot for pain, they were finally able to get my bp down to a point that they COULD read it....237/134....needless to say, i was admitted for 5 days and promptly put onto meds...during my stay, i wasn't allowed to get out of bed, except to use the facilities. the nurses didn't even want me to play a gameboy as they thought the stress might make my bp go up!

I don't blame em, that's a ridiculously high BP!

[And a beautiful job too. The doc managed to get the stiches in a straight line, unlike the eejit in Croydon General (UK) who left me looking like a Russian prison tattoo victim several years back...[/QUOTE]

Croydon General is better known as Mayday (or colloquially as May Die). I think it's been demolished now or about to be.

Anyway, I have had reason to go to hospital on several occasions in HK for reasons I wish not to discuss on a public board but a big thumbs up to St Pauls Hospital in Causeway Bay.

as i said, the rest of the staff were great! it was just that triage nurse that my hubby wanted to deck, especially after they were finally able to get a reading! it wasn't a laughing matter... they were afraid i was going to have a stroke at the ripe old age of 30!

Yeah my experience of ruttonjee good as well been twice once for food poisoning and appendix. Only complaints was a/c on ward too high had to wear wooly hat, and every nurse and doctor came by to look at the funny gweilo.

Only cost me 300 hkd for three nights as well thanks to id card, bargain

Word of advice Chinese new year great time to get ill hospital is empty, apparently its unlucky to go into hospital at that time of year if your chinese Had ward almost to myself

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast