Like Tree79Likes

What made life in Hong Kong easier for you?

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by oki_boy:
    Which app is this? I could definitely use it, instead of leaning over the front seat and constantly instructing turns with my hands.
    Its called Hong Kong Taxi Translator

re the wave signal - it is actually signalling that you want to go under the waves, ie tunnel , so the hand starts high and then swoops down, signalling that you want to go tunnel. Looks like doing the wave though. Saves you from paying double the tunnel fare too.

Don't forget $5 for each bag in the boot. So if bag can fit in the seat, put it in the seat to save some money.

dear giant and fuzzysocks like this.

Quote Originally Posted by threelittlepigs:
    re the wave signal - it is actually signalling that you want to go under the waves, ie tunnel , so the hand starts high and then swoops down, signalling that you want to go tunnel. Looks like doing the wave though. Saves you from paying double the tunnel fare too.

Don't forget $5 for each bag in the boot. So if bag can fit in the seat, put it in the seat to save some money.
    True - it is a bit of a swoop down first....strangely enough, I can't find a youtube of it!!!

Three little pigs

You don't pay double the tunnel fee, It's tunnel fee one way plus $15.

Actually, isnt it tunnel fee plus cost of cheapest tunnel back if you go crossharbour?

Also, if you use the MTR station as a short cut as I did when I first came here to avoid the rain as I was walking from one part of Central Stn to another exit of the same station, whilst passing through the turnstiles, there is a minimum charge. I think it was $3something.

Best advice - get an Octopus card as it is useful everywhere (well almost).

Last edited by threelittlepigs; 16-04-2012 at 07:03 PM.

Living in a hostel (the old Caritas Valtorta) for my first 6 months here - got to know local gals who knew all the lurks and perks for living cheaply and conveniently.

Then learning Cantonese!

Quote Originally Posted by threelittlepigs:

It can also be worth carrying a tape measure if you do this regularly.... I have measured my hand luggage and it easily fits the dimensions BUT about 50% of taxi's from the airport try and charge me anyway. So these days i just whip out the tape measure and they back down pretty fast ! (sure, it's only HKD4 (green taxi) but it's the principle I object to).
    dear giant and fuzzysocks like this.

Walking - if your not in a hurry just walk along various streets and keep a mental note of useful shops
    Buses - finding the fasted route on 香港乘車易. It is a bit biased to the MTR and quite often the bus is quicker and cheaper but doesn't rank 1st
    Clustering - various districts / streets / malls are the best places to go for.... well whatever you need.
    chingleutsch likes this.

Google Map.
    MTR comes second.

The Hk bus route app that shows you in real time where you are and where to get off. It's so much easier to get to places off the beaten track.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using GeoClicks Mobile

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast