Like Tree202Likes

Hong Kong is not fast-paced in any recognizable sense AFAICT, so why does everyone say that it is?

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 21 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 10 ... LastLast

Hong Kong, Asia's World City for Slowness (TM).

dear giant likes this.

That's so true. Even the pickpockets are slow here. Those thieves in Madrid put ours to shame. How about those speakers in India, four times faster than here. Even the horses in Kentucky run faster than the ones here. Except for QB's 10 min haircuts, the hair stylists sure take their sweet old time here. How about the sex drive - them brazilians measure how many conquests in the past hour while HKer measure in calendar years. Finally on the topic of time, the New York minute is certainly faster than a HK minute.

Next time someone tells you "HK is a fast paced city" - Ask them this... "Where else have you lived?"

The answer will be enlightening.

People seem to eat fast.

Quote Originally Posted by huja:
    People seem to eat fast.
    'seem' being the operative word.

I'll give you a rice eating contest. Me with a spoon, you with chopsticks.

Quote Originally Posted by threelittlepigs:
    That's so true. Even the pickpockets are slow here. Those thieves in Madrid put ours to shame. How about those speakers in India, four times faster than here. Even the horses in Kentucky run faster than the ones here. Except for QB's 10 min haircuts, the hair stylists sure take their sweet old time here. How about the sex drive - them brazilians measure how many conquests in the past hour while HKer measure in calendar years. Finally on the topic of time, the New York minute is certainly faster than a HK minute.
    They even die slower than others.
    spode likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by justjoe86:
    'seem' being the operative word.

I'll give you a rice eating contest. Me with a spoon, you with chopsticks.
    Now that's a challenge. Try eating lunch with Mr SS - blink and his has gone. He puts it down to years and years of lunch with Japanese salarymen, so I guess while they walk quite slowly they wolf down their lunches!

Life is so much faster in Montana DG.

I completely agree with this, was saying the same thing the other day. Everything takes forever.

Sometimes I also question the 'modern' tag. Things seem really old fashioned, a good example is dealing with your bank. Try to do something online and your often directed to fill out endless forms and fax them back in. Things always have to be done according to 'the rules' even if 'the rules' make no sense whatsoever and nobody has any idea why they exist.

That said, old fashioned isn't always bad.

dear giant likes this.

some things get done quicker here, others get done quicker in UK

cheque clearing, 5 days in uk ( still, banks are rake up interest in the process), here it's just a day

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 21 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 10 ... LastLast