Like Tree60Likes

Warning about Hiring Break Contract Helper

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 10 ... LastLast

We have had several helpers over the years terminate or be terminated before the end of the contract. They ranged from the brilliant to bloody awful/criminal. Here is some "useful advice" (and I am being sarcastic) for employers, employees can turn out to be crap or brilliant whatever checks or interviews you do. References are quite often meaningless, as in this example "child care issues" - what could be an "issue" for one person could be a positive for another.

Oh really? I remember someone just ranted about how mean & unfair the hk native are not so long ago, how horribly they treat the helpers; how the helpers are in fact very nice people, and they deserve none of those treatments blah blah blah

Quote Originally Posted by ExpatNeighbor:
    @OP - What exactly had this "bad" helper done to you to merit an effort of creating a thread out of it and try to destroy her chances of seeking future employment elsewhere? From how I see it, if I were the helpless helper (ironic), I might want to challenge the cause of termination, as I understand a contract to be a written agreement between two parties within a validity period. A pretermination is clearly a breach without a valid reason.
    We terminated her because of child care issues, but in order not to jeopardize her chance of finding the right employer, we simply wrote in her termination letter that we did not need a full time for now (which was true, as well). She was a good cook and I wrote her a recommendation as such and told her that I could provide verbal reference to the extent I could. I even told friends she could still be the right helper for the right family in case they knew anyone looking. After all this, I certainly would have serious doubts about her integrity after discovering the lies and wondered what other lies she could be telling. As an employer, I certainly would be interested to know if a hire had lied about her contract status, so this is meant to be a cautionary tale for those hiring full time helpers and I gathered from your comment that you may not have had full time helpers and may thus have very different ideas about it.

Quote Originally Posted by FerrisC:
    Oh really? I remember someone just ranted about how mean & unfair the hk native are not so long ago, how horribly they treat the helpers; how the helpers are in fact very nice people, and they deserve none of those treatments blah blah blah
    Who was that then? If you are implying it was me then you are way off.

No not you. This is what I'm referring to. The guy said something about domestic helpers.

Chinese in Hong Kong are Very RUDE!

LOL, as far as I know, that guy isn't a member of Geoexpat, and most (if not all) of the comments were highly critical of him. Bit of a stretch, that...

I admit that the guy does have a point about many behaviors that are common among the local community.
    I just feel if some employers treat their maids badly they do that for a reason.
    Allegedly there's an Indonesian maid who mixed her menstrual blood into a dish she was preparing for the hk family...Yuck

"allegedly"

Quote Originally Posted by FerrisC:
    Allegedly there's an Indonesian maid who mixed her menstrual blood into a dish she was preparing for the hk family...Yuck
    Haven't you heard of menstruone soup? Delicious!

Even if thay story is true... it means absolutely nothing except there is a crazy person out there.

In England I remember a doctor getting convicted for killing loads of his patients but I didn't see people steering clear of English doctors.
    Last edited by justjoe86; 21-04-2012 at 03:55 PM.
    Satay Sue likes this.

Just to be clear, I only "liked" the second two sentences

justjoe86 likes this.

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 10 ... LastLast