Like Tree44Likes

Advice pls: helper wants to borrow $15K

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

I would not do it, to sulk because you've said you'll think about it, what a madam ha! You know the saying, you give an inch, they take a mile. Do not be taken advantage of like this.

Some employers do lend money. It depends on your risk tolerance. But for her to have attitude now, after you said maybe, seems like some bridges might be burnt. Anyway you can help her sister get over here? I have heard stories on here of people helping the family and hiring them.

Also, do you pay the minimum amount for her salary or give a holiday bonus? The maid should have some money saved, maybe find a middle ground. She has been with you for a year and you say she is good. Decide if you want to help her out or not. But maybe this Christmas, two people will ask you for 4k each, so maybe best to put down your foot now.

Tough call.

Natfixit likes this.

I really don't know anything about her sister in law so I wouldn't be comfortable recommending her to family or friends.

We did start her on minimum but once she proved she was worth more, we gave her a raise after 3 months, after one year and again when she re-signed with us. So no, she is not on minimum anymore.

But should that really be a consideration anyway? Whatever her salary, should we as the employer feel obligated to meet her loan requests, esp in this case where her SIL is just trying to avoid paying interest to her agent??

Last edited by peainpod; 25-04-2012 at 11:03 PM.

Dont bother with the bank loans either as she will put your house address on the application form, once she fails to pay and buggers off, the debt collection agency will come to your house, phone your house, give you lots of trouble.

You seem like a nice person who wants to do the right thing for her but seriously, you are over-thinking this. It has "bad"' vibes all over it. Don't forget that you are her employer first and foremost. She is entitled to ask you for the loan. You are equally entitled to decline without going into a guilt trip over it.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using GeoClicks Mobile

i would say no too...

@peainpod,

You are not obligated to give her the money. If you are looking at it from a business standpoint, then it's not worth it. But, at the end of the day, we all at some point need to give back to people and help out. It is emotional for you and your helper, it's her family, I am sure she misses her sister and wants to see her. On the other hand, like other posters said, if you do this, then surely they will ask for more in the future.

How much is the interest on the loans in the Philippines? Can she pay it back sooner and avoid the high interest? I mean, this is what the helpers have to go through, and maybe her sister can even find a family who will pay extra to compensate the loan, as I have heard some do that too.

As an employer, to plain out lend money is probably too much. You could compromise and say, I'll advance you two months salary (just pay April and May now) and give you your year bonus now (1 month), and you don't have to pay it back. You do owe her April, and as a good helper, you can justify a bonus, so if she was to peace out, then you would lose just 1 months salary. If she really needs the money now, she will appreciate the offer. If she has excuses on the other hand, then well, how serious can she be.

Star Gazer and dannycat like this.

Quote Originally Posted by MovingIn07:
    I made the mistake of lending my sister money once - she never paid me back and it caused difficulties. Now I just give her money - it's just easier!
    Eh? She didn't pay you back and in return you just give her more?

Quote Originally Posted by Raccon:
    Eh? She didn't pay you back and in return you just give her more?
    You honestly don't see the difference between lending and giving?

Quote Originally Posted by jgl:
    You honestly don't see the difference between lending and giving?
    That was not my question, now was it!?

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast