Like Tree5Likes

Mould Problems

Closed Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

i use a toothbrush for the shower to clean. might be worth a try.

Thanks everyone for your replies - looks like we're running the A/C all the time to deal with the problem. The A/C has a dry mode so trying that out and hope that the issues get resolved. Thanks again!

Just before Easter, we had a mould problem big time! My husband refused to let me buy a dehumidifier , claiming that the dry function on the air on would prevent mould from growing. Problem was that it DID grow in the wet winter, and I spent three days scrubbing it off our skirting boards, under the bed mattress, the bed frame, our wedding pics were ruined etc...luckily none in the bathroom, but once mould gets into wood or grouting, you just can't get it out. In the end, I got it off the bed with lots of white vinegar and Clorox wipes, and used a mix of vinegar, bleach and bicarbonate soda for the skirting boards. Bath sealant can be peeled off, and resealed. It takes a fair bit of elbow grease but better than nothing. If you have mould on clothes, either dry clean the clothes that are dry clean only and notify the agent incase this is overlooked, but for normal laundry, I have used Vanish for colours, both powder and the pre wash spray, plus a bit extra detergent and found that the mould comes out.

I would have told her COOL mode, not dry mode. But I agree with her husband, stop buying useless things My wife would have bought it anyway, if she is convinced of something it's difficult to change her mind.

Original Post Deleted
    Ha ha ha..no.

Re 100LL's comment, you should see the junk my husband buys and then compare!

Since buying the two dehumidifiers, we haven't had said problem since.

As I've mentioned in other posts. We run 3 dehumidifiers all with decent sized tanks. They're all full in a day. Next day, repeat.

And yes, I got air cons running when I'm home as well.

Me and humidity are at war. There will only be one victor.

dehumidifier are the best option to get your clothes dry in less than 2/3 hours - air cons do not do the same job (10 years of trying both options...)

Is there a "welcome to HK" guide for new expats? If so, there should be a checklist of things to have, starting with a dehumidifier...

Here's a question however, kinda related I suppose, does anyone use air filters? such as the Sharp Plasmacluster ion generation machines?
    Are they of benefit? Should I get one?

Quote Originally Posted by 100LL:
    How do you know that? Do you have a Kill-a-Watt? I do and I use it.

ACs on cooling do a much better job getting your house dry.

(the above statement is correct, but I also just wanted to make a statement like DeletedUser without any additional support)
    This is what we do. No mould at all. And you can't get much closer to the sea than we are!