Like Tree7Likes

Quality of Hong Kong vs. Mainland Graduates

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by booth:
    Good points.

My friend from Singapore studies at HKU masters program now and says its crap.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using GeoClicks Mobile
    Is that a HKU space program? The space programme is often there to make extra cash for the university, so quality and reputation are...secondary considerations and not the priority.

However, the UST's MBA program is consider one of the best in the world (not just Asia)...

He isnt in the MBA. Not sure which I forgot :-) But he says why put in extra effort when I get the same grade regardless.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using GeoClicks Mobile

Waterdrinker:
    " The only likely jobs they would get seem to be working at 7-11 or McD. Back home, those were the sort of part-time jobs one get to earn a little extra cash while in high school or college, but are usually career dead-ends."

If this isn't crap generalization then I don't know what it is.

Trollish attempt I say.

The subject could be interesting and well debated but from your 2nd post on this thread it clearly looks like one of those thread as SS says....

(and now Booth has joined in, so expect any rational debate to be impossible).

My 2 cents - we employ several mainlanders and no local grads. However all our staff were educated overseas (not china nor hk). I would say eduction location is the key factor, not location of birth.

Watercooler and dear giant like this.

Watercooler - have you considered interviewing individual human people persons and recruiting the one most competent to do the job regardless of their place of origin?

Try it, you might like it.

I should add that I think my negative comment about hku may have been a bit unfair. It could be symptoms of taught post graduate study rather than the uni itself. I've never studied an undergraduate course at HKU.

Also, as Dipper points out, individuals are different. If I didn't think this, I would be directly insulting myself with my criticism of HKU! Some students on my course are as frustrated as me by the MA programme, and have said as much to students considering applying for it. Unless you intend to continue to do a doctorate (and providing you don't think a doctorate is useless!) I would say my MA is certainly not worth the course fee and lost income/ time required.

Finally, despite my overall thoughts on the course, there are at least two professors who have been excellent, and who probably share my frustration. Once again, an example of exceptions to any rule.

Last edited by justjoe86; 02-05-2012 at 10:38 AM.

If you intend to teach at Uni level, a Doctorate is most of the time required, so not useless.

You can "survive" with a Master and a strong publishing track record but without publishing/Phd you will be limited to lecturer/senior Lecturer position and not access the Associate Professor/Professor level.

Watercooler likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Mat:
    Waterdrinker:
    " The only likely jobs they would get seem to be working at 7-11 or McD. Back home, those were the sort of part-time jobs one get to earn a little extra cash while in high school or college, but are usually career dead-ends."

If this isn't crap generalization then I don't know what it is.
    It's not crap, it's real experience, at least when I was growing up in Canada. I did my stint at McD way back in my high school days, it's common but I have yet to hear of youngsters boasting about how great it was to work at McD or 7-11.

Nowadays it might no longer be like that, but it's common enough back in my days to be a valid generalization.

Now I'm sure there will be that odd talented local grad who ain't that great with his college grades but is a really good entrepreneur, but those kind of people remain in the minority I think.
    Last edited by Watercooler; 02-05-2012 at 10:59 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Watercooler:
    I heard a number of reasons. Some say mainland graduates is willing to work harder, have better social skills and just more competent all round. I don't want to stereotype against Hong Kong graduates, but I want to know whether those reasons given above can be substantiated by experience in other companies in Hong Kong.
    I wouldn't always say mainland graduates have "better" social skills. "Different" social skills would be more correct when comparing to local grads. I have found that the junior associates that I work with who are from the mainland are more direct and capible of getting things done, albeit not necessarily in a graceful or nice way at all times. Local grads are more likely to ask their boss for help doing things without trying to sort it out themselves first, while the mainland grads tend to have a go themselves before asking for help (although in some cases they really should have asked for help first...). But, these are very big generalizations and I work with some excellent, bright and hardworking junior associates from both sides of the border.
    Watercooler likes this.

It's utter crap because many jobs in HK (and not Mac Do or 7/11) do not require HKU.CityU or CUHK education.

For example, HK has a huge entrepreneur scene - which does not require to graduate from HKU...

Besides, lots of people graduating from the other Universities, get jobs (not 7/11 or MacDo) in various companies in HK.

Not everyone becomes a successful CEO, Banker, lawyer, Consultant.
    Many will remain office workers but not 7/11 staff.

Back to the Macdo thingy. while I know this isn't the majority, one of my childhood friend started his career at MacDo (after a family 'fight") on weekends selling fries and burgers, he worked 3 years there finally until he became the manager of 4 MacDo in the same city. he resigned (they wanted him to move to management in Paris but he did not want to move out of his childhood town) and for the past several years has been running a very successful restaurant (5 in total actually in the same area of France), where he makes more money than me....