Like Tree7Likes

Quality of Hong Kong vs. Mainland Graduates

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Quote Originally Posted by Mat:
    It's utter crap because many jobs in HK (and not Mac Do or 7/11) do not require HKU.CityU or CUHK education.

For example, HK has a huge entrepreneur scene - which does not require to graduate from HKU...

Besides, lots of people graduating from the other Universities, get jobs (not 7/11 or MacDo) in various companies in HK.

Not everyone becomes a successful CEO, Banker, lawyer, Consultant.
    Many will remain office workers but not 7/11 staff.

Back to the Macdo thingy. while I know this isn't the majority, one of my childhood friend started his career at MacDo (after a family 'fight") on weekends selling fries and burgers, he worked 3 years there finally until he became the manager of 4 MacDo in the same city. he resigned (they wanted him to move to management in Paris but he did not want to move out of his childhood town) and for the past several years has been running a very successful restaurant (5 in total actually in the same area of France), where he makes more money than me....
    Good for your friend, but as you say, he's very much in the minority, the average McD worker is working at a dead-end job, period.

I never said you need a local degree to get a job in HK, but for the vast majority of grads, your income prospects are severely dented if you don't have a degree from a respectable college. Granted, actual experience shows they aren't as great as they say they are, but that's a different story. You can't even land an interview at some firms without a degree from some elite college overseas.

Yeah I'm sure there are successful people in HK who have not even completed high school, but in today's world, such examples aren't as common as they used to be.
    Last edited by Watercooler; 02-05-2012 at 11:27 AM.

But for watercooler. We hire both types of graduates and out of the 6 mainlainders we hired since I am in the team;
    - 1 is excellent,
    - 1 is overly ambitious and total lack of social skills. Not bad in the job but attitude is a killer
    - 2 are normal (ie not good, not bad, normal) and no real social skills
    - 2 have left: 1 was good with good decent social skills - 1 was not good.

So here is my small sample.

In the meantime we hired 3 locals:
    - 1 is good with decent social skills
    - 1 is excellent
    - 1 is normal but with very good social skills

English level is better at the local level in each cases.

But again this is a tiny sample.

Where are the locals graduated from?

Definitely noticed the lack of social skills. They like to keep quiet as they are affraid to get fired or something. No idea.

How valuable are good social skills to your company?

Sent from my GT-I9100 using GeoClicks Mobile

Quote Originally Posted by booth:
    Where are the locals graduated from?

Definitely noticed the lack of social skills. They like to keep quiet as they are affraid to get fired or something. No idea.

How valuable are good social skills to your company?

Sent from my GT-I9100 using GeoClicks Mobile
    You, on the other hand, strike me as a man gifted with fantastic social skills.

booth is a man?

A off-topic question. Who are the more aggressive hires? HK'ers or Mainlanders? Just wondering, a while back I had a chat with my local co-workers and they seemed shocked that one could ask for a raise or promotion as opposed to waiting for one. Then it all started linking together that they were also less outgoing and less prone to act "against the flow" so to speak. I was just wondering if this was the norm or whether Mainlanders act slightly differently.

ClueMinus likes this.