Like Tree2Likes

Kowloon to Beijing - new rail terminus

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Is that the fee to Beijing?

Sent from my GT-I9100 using GeoClicks Mobile

Quote Originally Posted by booth:
    Yeah, not sure why the HK section is afraid to test new speeds. Heck the Shanghai airport maglev is what we need.
    Shanghai Maglev runs between two stations...Pudong IA and Longyan Rd...

This thing has 5 stations between Kowloon and Guangzhou South...how fast can it go before it has to slow down again?
    Last edited by anothercanuck; 12-05-2012 at 09:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by anothercanuck:
    Shanghai Maglev runs between two stations...Pudong IA and Longyan Rd...

This thing has 5 stations between Kowloon and Guangzhou South...how fast can it go before it has to slow down again?
    You could in theory run express trains, i.e. those that connect A and B but bypass some stops, like it's done with high speed trains around the world.
    The problem with Maglevs however is that the tracks need more space and switches are a much more complicated (you need to bend the entire track) than those for normal railroads. As such it might not make sense from an economical perspective for the XRL.

Quote Originally Posted by Dreadnought:
    For roughly HKD 10,000 per head, what do you guys think?
    The business community will enjoy the subsidized transit system.

I have my doubts. In order for this to work there needs to be perfect maintenance and perfect track security over the entire length of the railway. While I can imagine this in Hong Kong, the mainland is a different story.

I wonder how many Wenzhou type crashes there would have to be before no one would risk it again? The whole development could become a white elephant.

Quote Originally Posted by Ern:
    I have my doubts. In order for this to work there needs to be perfect maintenance and perfect track security over the entire length of the railway. While I can imagine this in Hong Kong, the mainland is a different story.

I wonder how many Wenzhou type crashes there would have to be before no one would risk it again? The whole development could become a white elephant.
    While I am not a supporter of this project, my opposition to the idea was not so much safety but a question of whether such a project is necessary (why not enhance the existing rail lines to Lowu or place the Hong Kong station at Lok Ma Chau or some place else along the border.

You raise an important issue, but I feel that the gummint up north is much too concerned about keeping face to allow any compromises on safety (add to that that they are aggressively marketing China-made train cars overseas). I would assume that the Wenzhou accident brought them into line on safety vs. speed.