Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

How to get to Tai Long Wan Beach and Sheung Luk Stream

How to get to Tai Long Wan Beach and Sheung Luk Stream

I am going to take my son on a hike to Tai Long Wan Beach tomorrow, followed by a jump off the cliffs at Sheung Luk stream. I have searched this site and others to find decent directions on how to get there. I have found no less than 20 different opinions. It seems we should take the MTR to Diamond hill and then either take a bus or taxi to Sai Wan Pavillion and hike from there. Does this sound like a reasonable plan to those of you who have made this journey? Can you possibly give me a little more detail on the most efficient way (excluding speed boat rental) to make this trip? Also, will a taxi driver know what I am talking about if I tell him "Sai Wan Pavillion, Sai Kung". And lastly, how do I get to Sheung Luk stream from the beach? Any guidance is appreciated. Thanks!

to get to sai wan pavillion, i would suggest to go to diamond hill, board a bus to wong shek (through sai kung) and get off at pak tam chung. then a taxi from there. when you are in the taxi, direct them to the high island reservoir and take the left when the road branches out.
    alternatively - and easier - you can take a taxi from sai kung directly which will cut waiting time for buses too.

the hike from there to tai long wan is fairly straight forward, only issue is that sheung luk is before tai long wan.

Things to do in Hong Kong – Find Out what to do in Hong Kong, including sports, festivals, and markets | Get Out: Sheung Luk stream

ClueMinus likes this.

Get yourself a decent set of maps would also be a wise idea.

Most hiking stores have the Countryside Series and they are also available from the Government Online Bookstore.

Caprithai likes this.

Where are you coming from? I've always taken the bus from Sai Kung Macdonalds to Sai Wan pavillion...

Sent from my GT-I9000 using GeoClicks Mobile

Yes, I was going to mention the bus. Goes from outside MacDonalds in Sai Kung. A small white minibus with (to my knowledge) no markings in English. Usually just joining the really long queue on the pavement outside Md's is a good way to find it!

Having said that, the suggestion to bus to Pak Tam Chung from Diamond Hill and taxi from there is not a bad one either - that bus is pretty easy to find. It's the 96R. It's rather slow but a reasonably scenic journey.

Agree with the others too - GO GET A MAP.

Quote Originally Posted by anothercanuck
    Where are you coming from? I've always taken the bus from Sai Kung Macdonalds to Sai Wan pavillion...

The bus is #29R

MovingIn07 likes this.

How about any overnight parking in the area or in Sai Kung? I'm doing a camping trip over there soon, and will be driving to work in Shatin, and don't want to drive home then take the 1+ hour bus/mtr back to sai kung, then another 1+ hour to get to the site (I get off at 4pm, so it's actually going to be dark by the time I get there if I can't drive)

There is parking in pak tam chung but I'm not sure if allowed overnight.

We made it out there on Saturday. What a blast! If anyone is looking for a quick adrenaline rush, I highly recommend this spot.
    Simple Directions:
    -MTR to Diamond Hill
    -Bus 92 to Sai Kung
    -Green Taxi from Sai Kung to Sai Wan Pavillion (@$90)
    -Hike to Sai Wan Village/Beach
    -Go past the beach, where you will see the river coming out. There is a concrete bridge that goes across the river. There is a small "cow path" to the left of the river/bridge. Follow it up into the woods until you see the pool.
    -Enjoy!

If you follow the stream up further and further you get more adrenaline. But a rope and some climbing experience help!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast