Like Tree42Likes

HK People are stingy

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

A British comedian travelled across America trying to not pay money to corporate world IMDB link

Not really possible in HK to go a day without giving money to a tycoon.
    Last edited by East_coast; 14-05-2012 at 09:22 AM.

Really bryant? In my wet market the shopkeepers all know me and laugh and smile with me but it is mainly because my mother in law (the loudest woman in town) and daughter (the curliest haired baby) are celebrities there haha.

Fiona in HKG and Satay Sue like this.

Quote Originally Posted by justjoe86:
    Really bryant? In my wet market the shopkeepers all know me and laugh and smile with me but it is mainly because my mother in law (the loudest woman in town) and daughter (the curliest haired baby) are celebrities there haha.
    TBH with you JJ, I'm not really being honest here. What bugs me is that shopping locally is a lazy way to put money back into your community, all it does is put money into the pockets of local small business owners who generally are more expensive and have less range than supermarkets, both get their stock from big corps. anyway. Small business, (including me), is particularly bad at employing people preferring to maximise profit by simply working harder and longer!

If you really want to reinvest in your community, start a community project, communal gardening or a skillshare or whatever.....buying an ice-cream for $9 from Mr. Cheung who hasn't paid rent on his village shop for years isn't helping anyone but the Mercedes dealer downtown...

My God Bryant you'll be turning into the Goods from the good life next.

For things like fruit, veg and meat it is cheaper and fresher to buy things locally instead of in a supermarket. Just less convenient especially for a foreigner. I realise the article is talking about tinned food and stuff but I'm not talking about that when I say I will shop locally.

Quote Originally Posted by bryant.english:
    ...local small business owners who generally are more expensive and have less range than supermarkets, both get their stock from big corps...
    More expensive and less range...

You are, of course, aware of supermarket chains intimidating small businesses into keeping high prices and of their collusion with import/distribution agents who then agree not to sell to the small business owners or to narrow the scope of their dealings with them?
    bookblogger and drumbrake like this.

Wasn't there a new bill passed in HK this month that considers the sharing/uploading of original copywright content as criminal?

Quote Originally Posted by BaconBreadBaker:
    Wasn't there a new bill passed in HK this month that considers the sharing/uploading of original copywright content as criminal?
    To my knowledge, it hasn't been passed, yet. It is being discussed in Legco.

Ok, then Rob lives to see another day.

Doesn't this article show the opposite of the title that HK people aren't stingy ? Pity the article doesn't name the actual group so that more people can join.