Like Tree9Likes

Towngas crazy bill

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Towngas crazy bill

We just moved apartments and we have just received close out bills for utilities at the old place. The HK electric bill was about right but the TownGas bill was crazily high. Now my cooking patterns have not changed in the least and i can't help but wonder if the guy who came to take the meter reading made a mistake. Is it worth taking up the issue with Towngas or will I just be fobbed off?

had you been self-reporting? were your estimated usage numbers up to date and accurate?

Or, had you realised that you needed to call in the meter reading bimonthly at all??

Last edited by chingleutsch; 14-05-2012 at 12:38 PM.
    Rob2020 likes this.

Depends what you mean by crazy high as to what action you should take. Is it double what you used to pay or ten times or what?

Quote Originally Posted by chingleutsch:
    Or, had you realised that you needed to call in the meter reading bimonthly at all??
    Don't think Towngas ever asked me to do a meter reading myself... at least I have never done one and they don't complain. They come by once per year or so to read the meter and then use the average monthly consumption for the months between meter readings.
    pandancake likes this.

It's probably a case of never reporting the usage and then being surprised at what happened.

Advice:
    * When you move into a new place, make sure the utilities are all settled and up to date. For gas, make sure the usage has been reported and is up to date with the provider
    * Every couple of months, report your gas usage using the automated system (instructions on the bill)

Quote Originally Posted by chrisvdb:
    Don't think Towngas ever asked me to do a meter reading myself... at least I have never done one and they don't complain. They come by once per year or so to read the meter and then use the average monthly consumption for the months between meter readings.
    You're supposed to self-report, they won't force you to, but it helps prevent surprises such as the one OP is talking about

Looks like you can even report online now - https://www.towngas.com/eservice/eng...ading_SSL.aspx

pandancake likes this.

it's hard to say without you giving any numbers or details of your usage, but i'd also assume that it's just mounted up from a year of underestimates

I used to get regular bills every three months or so averaging around 300 HKD the last bill for the month of April itself was 900 HKD. Unit consumption was up from around 21 units to 75 units. I didnt know about self-reporting at all. How often do you have to do it?

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast